Search Unity

Waypoints

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by DocJ, Dec 15, 2021.

1. DocJ

DocJ

Sorry. Wrong thread. Please disregard

Hi and thanks in advance for any guidance. I put this thread in Getting Started but it might not be the appropriate thread for this question.

I'm not looking for anybody to script for me, but I have a question more or less to see if this problem is scriptable. I have not been able to find answers throughout my searches.

Say for example a person is told to walk down a street for 6 "Blocks", turn right and the 2nd house on the side street is his destination.

Each Block corner is identified by a waypoint. Each house on the side street would theoretically be identified by a "child waypoint" or a "branch" off the "Block" waypoint.

Part 2 of the problem is if the player turns down the side street, say 2 Blocks too soon, but still goes the distance of the 2 houses. Can I get him back to the "Block" waypoints, counting the 5th Block as his starting point on his next turn ( since he turned too early)?

In other words he is supposed to walk like this ( The numbers represent the Blocks, and the letters represent the houses on the side street):
    1 2 3 4 5 6 a b

But instead walks like this:
    1 2 3 4 a b

Can his next turn start like this?:
    5 6 a b (begin next turn at main waypoint where he took the "wrong turn")

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and help if you can.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  2. Inxentas

Inxentas

Is this a linear checkpoint system? Because if it is, I'd just give those blocks a number (as you already did) and each time you enter a block, you save that number if it is higher then the number you already have stored.

3. DocJ

DocJ

Thank you for responding. Being new to coding, I understand using waypoints to "guide" the player, but if I add "branching" waypoints to each "block", won't the player walk up each block and down each branch?

4. Inxentas

Inxentas

In the end it all comes down to how to store data, and then later use that data to do something. Normally you'd spawn the player at a checkpoint he already visited (in your example that would be 4) but you seem to want to advance the player (to block 5) when he makes a mistake, is that correct? Since you know the target is (inside of) block (6) you could look at the last visited block (4), and add 1 to that number as long as it is below 6. Since the checkpoints are "block" bases and not "house" based we can ignore the houses.

Think like this: as long as your player is actually playing, you should update a bit of data every time a waypoint is reached. From this data, you should be able to determine a new spawn point when appropriate. If they are linear, all you have to remember is a number. If they are branching, then there exists some branching structure in your game that already that defines this. You'd need of a way to store some data seperately from this structure, that is enough to somehow find it's way back.

Or perhaps, you could save some x-y-z position every time a waypoint is activated. Then it no longer matters how your waypoints look. Is it absolutely vital we know what waypoint that is, or is a position enough information to respawn the player?