Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Way to dirty the character controller collider for physics engine?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by cjddmut, Mar 27, 2014.

1. cjddmut

cjddmut

I have a character controller that "dies" when it collides with a hazard tagged trigger and is then repositioned (by manually setting the transform) to a safe known location.

This is all good except on the next frame it will register another collision event (OnTriggerStay) even though it is no longer colliding. I figure the physics engine is trying to be smart and doesn't know that the transform has been moved (especially since I did it manually).

So is there a way to purposely dirty a collider for physics calculation updates (assuming that is indeed my problem :))?

Thanks!
    C.J.

2. JVILL

JVILL

Is it possible to use onTriggerEnter instead so the die function is only called once?

That way, onTriggerStay isn't really needed because it's a one time event. After the initial collision, you teleport the player, and it won't run the die function again until you onTriggerEnter it again.

I'm not a collision expert, in-fact I'm having my own collision problems here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/236706-More-Collision-Problems

3. cjddmut

cjddmut

Originally I had reason for leveraging OnTriggerStay but as I went back and looked at it that reason is no longer applicable so I can use instead OnTriggerEnter.

Though, I'm still curious if there is a way to force the physics engine to update its knowledge of where the collider is.