Search Unity

Question Waves along grid-like building in HDRP

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by acioting, Oct 9, 2019.

1. acioting

acioting

I'll preface this with I don't know if this is an HDRP problem as I created this building after upgrading to HDRP.

My issue is that, when far away, my building appears wavy due to the grid-like structure on each side. I was wondering how to fix this. I have enabled mip-maps to no avail, and am kinda stuck here. I have provided screenshots of my building both close up and far away.

Does anybody know how I can resolve this issue?

Img1.png Img2.png

2. Tartiflette

Tartiflette

That's aliasing caused by your geometry. The solution is to enable MSAA, then maybe add some post processing AA (TAA should work nicely). You probably also need to consider using LODs and have a version of the building where that outer grid geometry is instead just represented as a texture (which will not alias).

3. soleron

soleron

This is normal really and it is caused by aliasing.

Any geometry or texture with such thin lines runs such risk. If this is a texture you can improve it by enabling Anisotropic filtering.

Sadly Unity doesn't have a very good way to improve this out of the box but it's good enough in most cases. Give it a try first and see how it works in your case.

That does not mean that the available tools do not work, but that they reach their limits one way or another a bit easier than expected. Regardless, there are some assets that can do a much better job than Unity's anti-aliasing. One is super expensive and based on TAA the other more affordable and based on Super-Sampling methods.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...cts/madgoat-ssaa-and-resolution-scaling-86368

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/ctaa-cinematic-temporal-anti-aliasing-pc-vr-106995

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  4. jjejj87

jjejj87

there is also specular geometric AA available via the shaders in HDRP, works really well taming specular aliasing.