Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Waveriders: High Wave Oceans, Speedboats, Submarines, Vehicles

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by BlueBudgie1, Sep 11, 2016.

1. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

High wave oceans with phyiscs based speedboats, submarines and vehicles

I got interested in video game oceans with really high waves some months ago that can be ridden with speedboats, submarines and all kind of vehicles. Here is what I got so far. No idea yet if a game comes out of this or not. Right now I am just playing around with it having a good time. Though some Waterworld game, like the old movie, would be a dream. Mad Max on Water basically where you can construct your own boats and so on and ride serious waves. For various boats to test I just bought a couple of models from the Assetstore for now. For the ocean itself I use the Ceto Ocean here in Unity and modified it for high waves. That saved me months of work doing the fft stuff, testing and so on. Features so far are listed below.

Little website I did some time ago showing some other 3D stuff as well.
    http://www.bluebudgiestudios.com/

Dynamic Buoyancy:
    + all physis based -> good wave reaction, jumping/in-air possible
    + multi point modular -> allows construction of own boats later on, allows mis-construction of boats
    + no artifical physics angular drag or linear drag to keep stability -> boat responsive to waves at any speed
    + (tricky) analytic solution, very low cpu budget -> many objects no performance dips
    + reacts well to large surface difference -> high waves
    + works well with other forces -> high boat speeds
    + emulates capillary drag -> sucking effect when objects leave water surfaces

Wave Riding:
    uses dynamic buoyancy in interplay with these forces so far:
    + forward thruster, sway resistance, nose lift speed dependent, steering tilt
    + flexbible tuning for large range of vehicles whne constructing

Submarine Diving:
    + based on dynamics buoyancy -> allows seemless transition from above water to under water
    + works at any seas state and waveheight
    + gradual depth dependent reaction -> less stability close to surface because of waves, calm at high depths

Ocean:
    Ceto Ocean system modified/tuned/worked-around for high waves
    + allows seemless transition between sea states and waveheights

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  2. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

Finally some kind of underwater particles. Done with a crazy workaround because CETO can not do under water particles. Aquas can do them, but Aquas can not do the high waves. Will merge both their strengths later. Next is setting up the boat construction!

3. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Was it difficult to get particle spawning on topside surface collision?