Search Unity

Wave Creator - Real Waves in Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SP0KK0, Sep 21, 2013.

1. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I've just tried the latest version (2.4) on Unity 5, and it seems to work fine so far. A few tips though if you're using it in your own project:
    • Make the Water object the same XY size as your Terrain, and centered on the Terrain. Change the height if necessary, as the default height might not be appropriate.
    • The default water size is 100. If your terrain is bigger (and it usually is), multiply the Frequency setting, under the Waves panel, by the difference in scale. For example, if your Terrain and Water are 500x500, multiply the default Frequency by 5. This would change it from 50 to 250. If you don't do this, all you'll see is the water level slowly rising and falling, instead of proper looking waves.
    • Set the Wave Fadeout value, under the Waves panel, to something appropriate for the distance you're viewing from, and how far you want the effect to be visible.
    • Add the SetCamPos script to your Main Camera. This tells WC where to center the Wave Fadeout. If your Main Camera is going to change during the game, add the script to any additional cameras you'll be using. Use scripting to ensure only one Camera and SetCamPos script are active at any one time though.
    • If you make changes to your Terrain or Skybox after creating the Water object, be sure to regenerate the Heightmap/Reflection Cubemap afterward or it won't look right.
    I hope this helps any of you who are still having problems with it.

2. Redrag

Redrag

I have hit a problem with the floater script in Unity 5. I have set the frequency to high which has given me waves, but the floating objects are now not moving with the waves. Any thoughts?

3. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

The Floater script is not physics based. It applies local wave height + pseudo-random motion to your floating object so it appears to be bobbing with the waves, but don't expect the motion to be very accurate. Depending on how large your object is relative to the wave frequency, its motion can look pretty odd sometimes. That said, it should at least try to follow the up/down wave motion as long as you correctly set the Water Body and Offset values in the script. I just tested this and it still seems to be working as well as ever.

4. Redrag

Redrag

Have you tried it in Unity 5? Started with a clean project and the float does not work. The movement is offset to the wave position..

5. Recon03

Recon03

Still broke for me, I used this in the same Project in Unity 4, worked fine, Unity 5 nothing but issues it works once in awhile then it breaks randomly .. I cant see the water at all most of the time..

Looks like it breaks with Terrain Composer, I made a new scene with and added terrain composer and it breaks.. Terrain Composer uses Unity Terrain, so this makes no sense.

Time for me to move on and get another wave Asset because this isn't going to work well in Unity 5.

Worked fine in Unity 4 with Terrain composer... so no clue what happen here..

I run a company and a website with about 3k users who always get my emails, so he must have an issue?? I dunno but I wish he would check this site, because another 48 hours I will need a refund and move on, ..

Edit : Tried on an old project that it did work on in Unity 4 before, and its broke there now..

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  6. Redrag

Redrag

Update - re created water in my main project (Unity 5) and floater now works. Have no idea why... But the next problem is that there is no texture using the main shader. It works with the mobile one - but that is obviously not so good..

Latest - I think I have everything working! I had copied Wave Creator into my assets, as I had some changes which I wanted to get right first. Unity 5 didn't seem to like this. So I tried importing afresh into the project and all works fine. Just need to make my changes now and hope it all works...

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  7. Recon03

Recon03

Has anyone used this with Skyshop??/ I believe also this breaks with Skyshop because even though I dont get waves when I use Skyshop the shader is black... If I use another water I can see it, I made my own with Shader Forge and works great.. wouldbe great to get better support for this asset but wishful thinking I would like refund ..

8. Redrag

Redrag

I've just hit a new issue with Unity 5. With the main shader I can't see anything through the water except the terrain below. Very odd. If I change to deferred rendering on the camera it does work but everything else looks pretty odd. Any ideas?

9. sadicus

sadicus

Been trying Wave Creator and the wave displacement, shore fade and Y heightmap is working really good, but how do you get the water surface to look good, like an ocean and not so cartoon?
    Are there other shaders that can be attached?
    also
    Trying to only use the SubmergedEffect script to interact with a simple plane (for testing different shaders)
    How to fix "Material doesn't have a color property '_CamPos'

1. create plane, name it "Water1"
    2. Main Camera add: Submerged Effect (script) Water Body = Water1

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  10. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

You're right. I hadn't really noticed this when testing the new version before, but now I'm doing some things where it's become very apparent. The problem stems from doing the wave effect in a shader. If WC was still using actual geometry to make waves, this wouldn't be a problem, as you could use any shader you wanted with it. But that method was abandoned for performance reasons, and since WC is a shader now, it sometimes interacts with other shaders in weird ways. Some shaders require deferred rendering to work properly, and others prefer forward. Trying to put a group of 3rd party assets together in a project that consistently uses one method or the other has become a huge PITA IMO. I can only hope that SP0KK0's recent absence from this forum is because he's working furiously to find a solution to this problem. :(
    All of the included scripts interact with each other, so using the SubmergedEffect script without a WC Water Body won't work. The water surface must use the included script/shader, which references _CamPos. CamPos is another included script, which normally is placed on your camera, to tell WC where to center the wave effect. You might be able to create a stripped down submerged effect script by borrowing certain elements from the included script, but I'm not sure how much it depends on the water shader for its functionality.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  11. GPK

GPK

hi! im very interested in this for an iOS project im working on, but my main concern is how the underwater effects look on iOS. thanks in advance for the help!

12. PrismicStudios

PrismicStudios

Hello, I just purchased Wave Creator. I've got it all working fine and it looks nice, however, when I load the scene from the editor directly or run a build with the water and floater as level[0], everything is fine, but when I load the scene after my loading scene the boat is floating on a different wave or a delayed wave from the visual water. Very strange. I think it has something to do with system offset time being computed from the beginning of runtime instead of scene load. Any idea of how to fix this? Thank you so much!

13. Recon03

Recon03

The developer Abandon this, another reason to be careful of assets today, to many bail... or give no support.. Another asset that was a waste of money..

14. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

Is this still being supported by the dev?

15. Recon03

Recon03

nope... that's why I posted that...

16. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

guess I was hoping for confirmation from the dev...

Thanks

17. Recon03

Recon03

Good luck, he was tough to get a hold of before...