Search Unity

Water4Example(Simple) problem

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Todd-Wasson, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

There seems to be a problem with how the lighting or reflections or something are done, at least with Water4Example(Simple).

This is using Water4Example(Simple). See how the lighting on the water changes as the camera is panned up and down? Could that be because the reflection camera is moving in ways that it shouldn't, or maybe a shader itself is using the camera forward direction vector in a way that it shouldn't? (I haven't changed any shaders, this is the stuff that comes with Unity) Is this a known issue with plans for a fix? Is there anything I can do to fix or improve this in the meantime?

I'm not totally sure if this is only happening on the Rift, it's just very noticeable there because of the up/down head tilting that doesn't normally happen in this game. I can double check it on a regular monitor too be sure if it'd be helpful. I suspect it's probably the same there, yesterday I was playing with lighting and noticed one or two other strange things.

I'm using Unity 5 RC1 on Windows, but this problem has been there for as long as I can remember.

2. JDMulti

JDMulti

Just wait, there is more goodies that are really weird in Unity in combination with VR. Put the Terrain trees on billboard up close, look up with your Oculus Rift and see happy trees dancing all over the place in the bottom of the screen. If you have 10m high trees, you see the tops almost hit the floor and when looking downwards they grow by 200%. It's not even funny anymore how weird that looks and have to explain a customer that you can't do anything about that billboard behaviour. But putting the trees on actuall 3d objects further away is ugly as well, since the view becomes an AA artifact cinema show.

But all by all, your reflection on the simple water is behaving the same. When moving the camera up or down, it affects the water badly. Same stuff with current terrain tree billboards. I just don't think that the current Unity / included assets are optimized for VR, and this example is a proof what happens.

3. virror

virror

I wish Unity could include some better water overall, the performance is pretty bad compared to the quality : /

4. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Having the same problem, did you ever find a fix for it or an alternative? We are developing for the Oculus Go/Quest

5. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Yes, but it was a 4.5 years ago and I don't remember what I did. Not sure, but I seem to remember ending up using the water pro instead of the simple.