Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Water4 in Standard Assets isn't showing up in LWRP

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by IamTirion, May 6, 2019.

1. IamTirion

IamTirion

My problem is as the title says. I put the Water4 prefabs in the scene and they are invisible. Anyone getting this problem as well? Are the Standard Assets going to be integrated into LWRP and HDRP?

2. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi there, currently these old prefabs are not designed to work with 5.x let alone more modern tech like LW and HD. We'll likely share some new standard assets for things like water, in the same way we're doing new character controller standard assets for newer tech in beta. Sorry to disappoint, in the meantime there's a good amount of water shaders around the web that are already supporting LW and HD.

This demo from our graphics QA team has a great water effect - https://github.com/Verasl/BoatAttack

3. IamTirion

IamTirion

Thank you for the clear answer. I also have other questions, though possibly Unity isn't in the best position to answer this, Nvidia has an asset called Flex on the Asset Store for fluid simulation. It is also not working with LWRP. I understand it is an Nvidia asset, but since Nvidia's features such as PhysX are also part of Unity, I assume Nvidia worked closely with Unity.

So my questions are: Is Flex supposed to be usable in LWRP or HDRP? Are there or will there be other alternatives in Unity for fluid simulation? Is fluid simulation part of the upcoming Unity/Havok Physics?

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Just a little FYI, the "4" in Water4 refers to Unity 4.0 which was released 7 years ago.

You probably need to ask Nvidia about their Flex asset beta instead of Unity.

5. IamTirion

IamTirion

Oh, I didn't know that. Somehow it still worked when I was using Unity 2018.3.

I did ask Nvidia but they didn't reply. Still, regardless of Flex, does Unity have something at present or planned for fluid simulation, instead of a shader that affects only the surface of a game object? I tried the Particle System, and it didn't work so well because there is no cohesion between the particles, and its also CPU-based so it can only handle relatively few particles.