Search Unity

Official Water System for the High Definition Render Pipeline

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by auzaiffe, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Crazy34

Crazy34

That's good to hear. Then we'll be testing the integration with our players in the coming days.

chap-unity likes this.
  2. soleron

soleron

mmm it wasn't but you had me look closer and It was turned off in the quality level that was enabled in the editor...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    adrien-de-tocqueville likes this.
  3. edvart-ros

edvart-ros

I've worked on my ASV simulator and now have a decent buoyancy and hydrodynamic drag model going. Really awesome water system, i love how customizable it is and the ease of scripting. I've yet to play with water deformation, foam and other effects, since I'm not a shader/graphics guy. For my implementation im basically following Kerner's water interaction article, with some slight modifications to the buoyancy calculation.

4. SomerenV

SomerenV

That second clip looks really good. It's a shame the included buoyancy script with the sample from Unity is so basic and not really useable on a boat as is. For someone with too little understanding of C# to modify it, or create something better, it's a shame it's . I'd think that making a boat float is one of the fundamentals of a package like this one because it's probably what a lot of people are going to use it for.

Here's to me hoping that some day a little more fleshed out buoyancy script gets added (or you share yours). Right now I'm using a floater script that was dropped here a while ago. It's fine for now, but it's not very accurate in terms of physics.

5. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

The thing is, there's as many buoyancy implementation as there is games. Some implementations will bottleneck on perf, some will want some artistic control, some will want perfect physical buyoncy for primitives only.. etc so we can't really provide something that works for everyone.
    In the water samples there's already one really simple script that makes an object stick to the water surface and a simple buoyancy script working for a sphere in the pool scene you can try in 2023 versions. (cf gif)

Impact_Pool_VFX.gif

Then from there you already have a good headstart to create your own depending on your needs.

VOTRUBEC likes this.
  6. edvart-ros

edvart-ros

I can vouch for this! buoyancy is a hard thing to nail. As u can sort of tell from the video, mine uses linear interpolations between a set of water samples around the object and iterates over the entire mesh to precisely determine the subset of it that is actually submerged. This has to be done for realistic buoyancy, and it scales very poorly with huge/many meshes, at least the way ive implemented it. U can do voxel-based methods, surfacic methods and the "primitives" idea (floaters) chap mentioned. These all suffer from different problems and there really is not straight forward, universal way to choose between them.

The easy and fake way to do buoyancy is to take samples at discrete points around the boat, typically where u want the water line to lie. Then by querying the water depth at these points u apply an upward force proportional to the depth at the point. This is totally fake, but very easy to implement. Just base your script on the water query example made by unity.

chap-unity likes this.
  7. SomerenV

SomerenV

You know, my first reaction was 'why not just provide a simple script for a boat...' but, after giving it a second thought and after reading the comment from edvart-ros I now understand that there is no such thing as a simpel script for a boat. I mean, there is, but there also isn't. My issue was that coding a physics related thing like this felt a bit daunting. Coding itself isn't exactly my cup of tea, but physics calculations are way outside of my ballpark.

But... I thoroughly checked the provided buoyancy script, looked at what the different variables did and how the water was sampled and just started making something. I then remembered seeing a nice buoyancy script on GitHub a while ago, so I incorporated those calculations into my own script to see how that would turn out. Changed some things, added some things, et voila, a simple buoyancy script for a boat!

Once I'm happy with the end result I'll post a (simplified) version of the script here for others to use :)

8. edvart-ros

edvart-ros

So i know we have the CPU scripting method of querying water heights, which is kind of expensive due to the iterative nature of the method. Is there a way to access the "height field" of the ocean more directly by using shaders? Say i wanted to do buoyancy work on the GPU (not a script), what would be the most efficient way of querying the water height at a given position?

9. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

You can look at WaterEvaluation.compute, it computes the height of the camera relative to the water surface
    You should be able to copy it and reuse it to sample the surface at different positions, but it's also iterative, it's just on the gpu instead of cpu so it's faster
    It's possible to project the water displacement maps to generate a 2D heightmap of the surface and avoid the iterative part, but you'd have to do it yourself and that probably won't be more efficient unless you do a lot of samples (doing the projection is quite expensive i expect)

10. IAndrewNovak

IAndrewNovak

Hi. Water excluder does not work for my case where an excluder like a hole end needs a depth.
    Video example

How can I fix that or modify it for my purposes?

11. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "needs the depth" but assuming your water surface is around your hole in the ground here, it would be best to create a water deformer (like a simple box) and push the water down a few meter here so that there's no interaction between the camera and the water surface itself.

upload_2024-2-18_16-43-34.png

12. IAndrewNovak

IAndrewNovak

Thanks for your reply. I will try this workaround

I mean, there is 100% no any water/water lines in the bounds of the excluder mesh. No matter if this box/mesh height is 1sm or 10m.

In my attached video you can see a water line if the camera stays in excluder bounds and camera Y pos equals water line Y pos.

In the game I have an underwater station with a pool and a Ship. I need to cut the water where the ship has a hatch but there is still water around the ship

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  13. edvart-ros

edvart-ros

Does the water system write to the depth buffer at all?

14. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

Any chance we can see your script? I also bashed my head around simple floating mechanic, but it's also way out of my scope

15. edvart-ros

edvart-ros

I'm guessing this is what the poster did:
    Define some points on your object (on the corners, or around the object where u want the waterline to be). At each fixed update, query the height of the point relative to the water surface, using the HDRP water system API. If a point is underneath the water (negative y relative to the surface at that point), apply an upwards force there (AddForceAtPosition), proportional to the water depth of the point.

This gives u a very fake but somewhat convincing buoyancy effect. Add some damping to the object to avoid bouncy behaviour.

16. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

yes, same as a refractive transparent

17. edvart-ros

edvart-ros

I see. For integrating with my robotics-side of things, I'm transmitting a depth image from a camera. I'm doing this by rendering the depth buffer of the camera view into a color buffer (i can easily read this with asyncgpureadback later). When i look at the resulting color buffer (which encodes depth), the water is not visible.

The function i use for sending the depth data to the color buffer is this: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...on.CustomPassUtils.RenderDepthFromCamera.html

in code, im doing:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         var overrideDepthTest = new RenderStateBlock(RenderStateMask.Depth) { depthState = new DepthState(true, CompareFunction.LessEqual) };
    3.         // Depth
    4.         if (depthTexture != null)
    5.             CustomPassUtils.RenderDepthFromCamera(ctx, bakingCamera, depthTexture, ClearFlag.All, bakingCamera.cullingMask, overrideRenderState: overrideDepthTest);
    All object depths are fine on the output, but i cannot see the water. Is it due to the override? or culling mask?
    I copied this technique from https://github.com/alelievr/HDRP-Custom-Passes btw

upload_2024-2-21_14-23-10.png

18. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

RenderDepthFromCamera only draws regular renderers, watersurfaces are rendered using custom draws so they are not taken into account here. I'll fix it cause it should work

chap-unity and edvart-ros like this.
  19. edvart-ros

edvart-ros

Any update on this?

20. Bungarra

Bungarra

Hey there, is there any further ETA on this? How far away is it?

21. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, thanks for your interest, but for both of the latest questions, we don't have any ETA yet sadly.
    We'll keep you posted here once we do :)

22. D1234567890

D1234567890

The water system is leaking uniforms. For example if you create a Shader Graph with the property "Foam Smoothness" and set the reference to _FoamSmoothness they will conflict. This happens even if the water feature is completely disabled in the HDRP settings. I do not know the earliest this has been a problem but reproducible in the latest Unity 6.0 beta and it is a problem in 2023.2.

chap-unity likes this.
  23. soleron

soleron

It is better to provide something that is great for many people than something that is underwhelming for all people.

Sadly the later often happens lately from Unity.
    You can't please everyone. Please those who care for you most and would be impacted most.

24. edvart-ros

edvart-ros

You should be able to code up a floater script on your own, frankly. There's tons of tips online, it's a very simple thing if you're not looking for physically accurate simulation.

chap-unity likes this.
  25. soleron

soleron

Nope.
    I should be able to mark one thing as a floater and it works. Either through layer or a tag or something like that. Simple straight forward, no brainer. Because that is what kind of thing that should be. A no brainer.

26. silverx69

silverx69

Hello!

I am relatively new to using Unity and I'm trying out some experiments with the HDRP Water system (2022.3 LTS) and I thought it would be cool to render the water to a sphere. 6 plane spherical cube. It looks really really cool from the top and the bottom of the sphere, but at the sides it does this:

How would I go about fixing that? If someone could just point me in the right direction instead of me just poking around in the dark I would be very thankful!

27. Onigiri

Onigiri

Triplanar mapping is the way to go(I don't know if it's can be used with water shader or no)

28. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Sorry i was a bit busy, i did the fix, it's in review

edvart-ros likes this.
  29. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

indeed we should rename the water specific variables in the global constant buffer to have less generic names, thanks for reporting

30. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

This is not possible currently as the water simulation is done on square patches and there is no straightforward way to map that on a sphere without distortion

31. silverx69

silverx69

Darn that's a bummer, because it only looks weird around the equator. Thanks.

32. soleron

soleron

That would be super important for VFX/Animation work.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  33. D1234567890

D1234567890

Thank you. Will this be fixed for Unity 6 preview? It is currently breaking Crest.

34. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    D1234567890 and chap-unity like this.
  35. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

Is it still there in the latest version? I've never run into something like that.

36. seoyeon222222

seoyeon222222

I'm sorry. I deleted the post because I thought it would be right to solve the problem by answering it first through related issues traker reply
    I'm experiencing a problem with 22.3.13, and I haven't tested the latest 3.22f1. However, I don't think it makes any difference as I haven't seen any comments in the patch notes

test provided by "Domantas Bacius" is as follows
    Reproducible with: 2022.3.17f1, 2023.1.0a16
    Not reproducible with: 2023.2.5f1, 2023.3.0b2
    Fixed in: 2023.1.0a17

Given that it is reproduced in 2023.1.0a16, and fixed in 2023.1.0a17, isn't the problem with it clearly present?
    Anyway, I think it's still a meaningful report with problems in 2022 ver

37. impheris

impheris

i'm late but, that is cool!

chap-unity likes this.
  38. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

ah sorry, when talking about volume you meant the volume from the volume system, i thought the underwater volume. But indeed it reproes on 22.3, i'll make a fix for this version

seoyeon222222 and chap-unity like this.
  39. edvart-ros

edvart-ros

I'm making my own simple water system, just to learn some graphics programming. Is there a reference on how the LOD system works in the HDRP water system? I tried doing a simple distance-based LOD only using tessellation, but it resulted in cracks at the resolution boundaries.

40. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

i used a modified version of geometry clipmaps, you can find information about that on internet. It's more or less the same problems as for terrain rendering

hugokostic and edvart-ros like this.
  41. Mirkle

Mirkle

I made a post in the HDRP forum, but I am not quite sure if I should ask my question here: All my underwater objects end up looking blue, because of my HDRP ocean refraction settings. I love how it looks underwater, however, I would like to exlude some objects (or object layers) from the underwater effect, to see their full color. Is there a way to do this?

42. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

The only way currently is to make it transparent (with opacity = 1 so it's still opaque) and disable the 'receive fog' option

Mirkle likes this.
  43. Mirkle

Mirkle

Thank you adrien-de-tocqueville, that worked well! Btw, I love the new HDRP water system, it looks great!