Search Unity

Water simulation

Discussion in 'Physics' started by lancer, Aug 15, 2015.

1. lancer

lancer

Hey everyone, I'm hoping you can help me out a bit.

I'm currently doing a project for work where we need to simulate waterflow, such as dropping water on a terrain a seeing where it flows and settles, and to simulate flooding.

Me and my partner in our team have been doing some research but haven't been able to find anything. I tried a few things such as using a high-amount particle system with physics, but that was too resource intensive.

Are there any open source projects, or assets you could point me to?

Thanks
    ~Keith

2. Mauri

Mauri

3. lancer

lancer

From what I've seen, it doesn't really offer what we're after. We need to be able to pour water on the terrain, have it flow where it would naturally, and collect and pool in depressions like it would in real life.

4. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  5. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hi lancer,

Just wanted to chime in (Fluvio author here) - we recently added support for terrain collision (along with all other collider types). We actually made a very small prototype that's a bit similar - it has a "dam" (two cubes with small opening) that overflows on a terrain. The water level on one side of the dam is lower than the other, with the difference in height determined by the width of the opening:

Our physics is calculated on the GPU, so you can have fairly high particle counts as well. I would definitely give a recent version of the free edition a try, as it sounds like a good fit for the project you described.