Search Unity

Water overflowing

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by rotimom, Mar 3, 2022.

1. rotimom

rotimom

Hi, I'm wondering if there is any way to create a water overflowing effect from a bucket in Unity? Any ideas or assets out there that can achieve this?

2. John_Leorid

John_Leorid

VFX is just particle systems and meshes with a variety of shaders.
    Most common shader is the scrolling texture one, which just offsets the UV-Coordinates over time. Very simple to write or setup in ShaderGraph.

Then you need Meshes with correctly setup UVs to support scrolling in the direcion you want as well as a good texture.

This is true for pretty much all VFX.

I am not a VFX expert but ..
    In this specific case, I'd create a circular plane inside the bucket that rises when it fills up with water, having a water texture and maybe some particles with circles on the surface for the "wave"-like effect as well as splashes.
    Once filled up, I'd just have a mesh around the bucket with a scrolling texture.

If the bucket can be tilted so water flows out at one side, things get more complicated. You'd have to detect that and the emit particles from the correct spot.

So basically just a (transparent) Mesh around the bucked with a scrolling texture shader and a "water flows down"-texture.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Small liquids has whooped the AAA Industry forever now.

i’m sure you can figure out ways to animate in blender, but if you want dynamic you would have to deal with Metaballs and that is a resource hog.

Think of it this way, portal 2 Was one of the first games to try to do dynamic liquids in 3-D, and it barely looks like liquid. The metal balls they were using were so spaced out that the liquids looks like globs that were way too big. Dynamic liquid scaled up 1000 times.

I know hardware has gotten better at this point, but even the top Nvidia tech demos are running on state of the art equipment and it’s still pretty noticeably fat droplets.

Honestly though, if you’re on the forums asking such questions it may be time to reign in your scope.