Search Unity

Water Flowmap Editor in Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Cinder, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Cinder

Cinder

Hello,

So recently I wanted to try out making variable flow rates for a river plane. I had no idea how to do this at all, but I saw it about a year ago with the Skyrim Special edition and it seemed like such an interesting and effective thing to add to water to make it feel more real.

Eventually I found out about flowmaps and was disappointed that there was so little information about them. I only found a few different blog posts to go on and a talk by Valve. There was only one free tool for making flowmaps that i could find and messing around with it was tedious because you constantly had to tweak and test exports to see if it look right.

So I made this thing:

Here is a download link to my current Unity Package for it:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7lGK5-b1DetcUxreDZNSFE4eTA

Its basic at the moment, but it has all the basic stuff for simple water flow. I just need to add some tools to make small adjustments more easy, but the hard part of figuring out how to quickly and easily author Flowmaps without leaving Unity is done.

Feel free to post any thoughts or issues you find with it.

Brandon

DrOcto and Mauri like this.
  2. ImperativeGames

ImperativeGames

Interesting. I think this could be used to do other things, to make energy barrier, for example

3. Cinder

Cinder

I believe I've seen these maps used for image effect distortion such as black hole style swirls.

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

add normalization and you have a way to paint hair shader and other anisotropic reflection.

5. Cinder

Cinder

That would be awesome. Is this kind of pseudo-vector field how hair shaders are done?

6. 4sascha

4sascha

Hi.
    Are you still working on the FlowMap Editor?

NeatWolf likes this.
  7. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Same req. Is this still under development? I'd be interested in purchasing a mantained and supported version.

8. Cinder

Cinder

Got caught up with a new job for a while there haha. Just moved and will look back into it.

I did do some more work on it just to make it easier to use and look for bugs a while ago but never posted it since I didn't do nearly enough testing.

There are two other flowmap packages already on the store (holy S*** $199 for one of them). While I'm working on it I'll post updated builds on here for free.

mensch-mueller and NeatWolf like this.
  9. StevenP94

StevenP94

Thanks for your work

NeatWolf likes this.
  10. Cinder

Cinder

no problem. glad it was helpful!

NeatWolf likes this.
  11. Lesnikus5

Lesnikus5

There is an asset that makes dynamic streams of rivers: https://forum.unity.com/threads/surface-waves-dynamic-rivers-lakes-and-oceans.250330/. You can change the terrain in real time, the water will flow where it needs. It's even more than you wanted to do. Unfortunately, the author abandoned the development of the Asset, so we will not see updates. But I saw a message from the author that he wants to resell the asset to another developer. Can someone want to continue such a good cause?

NeatWolf likes this.
  12. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Are you talking about @RC-1290 ? I was having a look at his right today, for a half- submerged dungeon. :(
    Yet, if he's going to discontinue it, the price is a bit too steep, especially without a working demo :-/

@Cinder , how's it going? Are you going to publish it or you're still carried away by events ? :(
    Any chance of uploading it to GitHub to let the community work on it in the meanwhile? Of course I'd rather gladly purchase it as a supported asset on the Store! ;)