Search Unity

Wasteland CryoChamber Sequence

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by GargerathSunman, May 29, 2008.

1. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Hey guys! I figured I might as well showcase the (unfinished) starting sequence for Wasteland. It's the scene where the player wakes up for the first time and gets settled before finding out why everyone is suddenly being woken from their sleep.

Missing pieces are:
    • Player interactions
    • Player start in random CryoTube
    • Hallway to next section
    • Trigger for the colonists to randomly go to the observation deck
    • Colonist models (basic robot substitute)
    • Gun removal and jump disable due to the fact that this starts the tutorial
    • CryoTube debugging is still in place (you can open the tubes before the colonists are awake)

Other than that, go crazy! It's meant to be a humorous start to the game that leads into the main tutorials before the game actually begins.

http://www.rpi.edu/~pridef

2. Alec

Alec

Hey dude.. just to let you know I'm still working on characters, haven't been able to do much work (stupid exams :evil: )

3. StarManta

StarManta

....why would you obfuscate that link? I understand email addresses, but links?

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I couldn't get it to work on my MBP. Just gave me the gum drop and then it closed with no warning - no nothing...

Hrmmm...

5. chiefbobo

chiefbobo

Very nice. It's coming along great. I know you are still developing it, but here's my feedback. Get into texture mapping. You can add so much detail with just a few maps on your scenery. Right now everything is kind of flat grey color, with no details. Try wrapping the large pieces like walls and floors with some maps to really make the scene interesting. And use some lights, or better, use light mapping in your texture maps. Lighting can make or break a 3D scene, even with basic shading and textures on your scene, lighting can really bring the scene to life and help the player focus on the goals. (Example, light map or use a real light on the switch for the lift to draw player to that feature.) And of course sound, ambient sound make the scene immersive and some sound effects for when the cryo chambers activate, and the lift starts. I'm sure you are already working on some of this stuff. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing this evolve!

6. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

The only crashes I've experienced on my computers are when I run the ProtoIntel on a PPC or when I run the ProtoPPC on an Intel. Did you get the right one for your MacBook Pro?

Indeed. I'm taking this along a very Spartan route, to tell the truth. I'm developing all the required elements, the triggers, scripted events, player interaction, etc.. first. After all the required elements are completed, I'll more than likely have a year to a year and a half to finish the extras before my release deadline.

In the final version I plan to have as many of the following extras (in order from the top of the list to the bottom) as I can.

1. More items/textures to fill the blank areas of the scenes
    2. Ambient noise
    3. Seasonal special events and looks
    4. Third-person mode
    5. Sporish research and design screens
    6. Ambient wildlife
    7. "Special" encounters

7. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator Moderator

Why not just build a universal binary?

8. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

I've had no experience with Universal Binary, so I didn't mess with it. I don't even know what a Universal Binary IS, honestly.

9. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator Moderator

A universal binary application will run on both intel and ppc.

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The only drawback is that it results in a larger file. However it does result in less faffing about on everybody's part.

--Eric

11. Alec

Alec

Hey don't forget about me here

12. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sorry - Old Mac-head here. When I see two choices, and one is PPC and the other Intel - I read Mac vs. PC, and I DL'd the PPC version for my new (intel) based MBP.

>_<

Works now...

13. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

You should remove the dashes and spaces from the link. It's an unnecessary nuisance.