Search Unity

WASD two buttons pressed simultaneously

Discussion in 'Input System' started by JosephSelahJr, Jun 18, 2021.

1. JosephSelahJr

JosephSelahJr

I didn't find anything relevant in previous posts aside from a possible bug from 2 years ago. But I suspect this is a configuration issue.

Here's my scenario
    If I press one button and while it's held down, press another WASD key, the second doesn't fire an event. Both events fire if I press a key that's mapped separately. For instance, W & E -> both fire. It seems to be particularly an issue with sub actions.

I'm using the new input system.
    I'm using broadcast messages for the behavior.
    For my
    Move 
    action, I have Action Type set to Pass Through and Control Type set to Vector 2
    For sub action
    WASD
    , I have Composite Type set to 2D Vector and Mode set to Digital Normalized

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  2. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

The Vector2 Composite doesn't account for this situation. You will just have to handle it yourself. It's easy to create custom composites though.

3. JosephSelahJr

JosephSelahJr

So essentially, I'll need to map each key separately? Will that cause problems for DPad setups?

4. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

No, I think that Vector2Composite will read the 'A' key, find that it is pressed, and simply return with x = -1, regardless of the 'D' key.

What you can do instead, is let the most recent key win. @Baste has written a composite that does this here.

5. JosephSelahJr

JosephSelahJr

Thanks! I'll check out that thread. It actually looked like the event wasn't firing when I pressed the second key. Maybe I have two issues going on here.