Search Unity

Was Raytracing removed from Rendering Pass in HDRP 12.0.0?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by CloudyVR, Apr 3, 2021.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I am very new to HDRP 12.0.0 and am having a lot of difficulty trying to get raytraced reflections to work on objects in Unity 2021 - but I already have created a scene using Unity 2019 and HDRP 7.5.2 and the rtx reflections are working.

In my Unity 2019 project I had to use a recursive rendering override and select raytracing option from the "Rendering pass" dropdown for the material, then I was able to selectively apply rtx reflections to specific objects in my scene which looks amazing and was extremely fast rendering.

I then updated my Unity project to unity 2021 and the latest HDRP 12.0.0 and now suddenly all raytracing is broken,
    There is no longer any raytracing option located in "Rendering pass" dropdown. Recursive rendering does not seem to do anything. And when I turn on raytracing in my scene volume the entire scene starts raytracing (just like Blender Cycles engine).

How do I set raytracing reflections for only certain objects/surfaces that i need and not the entire scene (similar to how i was able to do in HDRP 7.5.2)??

Maybe my understanding of raytracing in Unity is completely wrong and I am not setting up volumes or using multiple cameras/layers correctly or something else, but I have just spent four hours clicking on toggles and searching the internet for literally no results.

Can someone please help me to somehow understand why/how raytracing and reflections has changed from HDRP 7 to HDRP 12 and why the "rendering pass" raytracing option is now missing or where it went?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  2. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

This was actually very simple to solve. As I was reading this unity docs tutorial and by changing the documentation version from 7.5.3 to 10.4.0 then reading the differences I saw these two steps were different:

7.5.3:
    - In the Surface Options foldout, select Raytracing from the Rendering Pass drop-down.

10.4.0:
    - In the Surface Options foldout, enable Recursive Rendering (Preview).

So in later versions of the HDRP the option for recursive raytracing is no longer located in the Rendering Pass dropdown but has become its own checkbox on the material.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021