Search Unity

Was Pokemon GO made with Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jarombra, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I don't think there is anything new in the game. I think most of the original hype has been driven by IP and marketing. The tech is pretty straight forward.

But its become big enough that its got its own critical mass and has become its own cultural phenomenon. And that's exciting, even if it turns out to be short lived. Tonnes of people are trying the game out based purely on the hype, and encountering 'GPS based finding' and Augmented Reality for the first time. So even though this game is not the first to do either of those things, its the first to push them out of niche nerd spot and into the public awareness.

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I have kinda wondered what the world distribution is. Ingress was a google thing, so around here in silicon valley, there are tons of pokestops and gyms everywhere. Between the walk from work to the train station, and the walk from my home station to my home, there are 6 gyms alone. 15-20 pokestops. That total walk is >1km. I have wondered if is that saturated everywhere else.

Our other pokestop is pretty much right next to the vader one. (literally just several feet away).
    Here it is in relation to the other and general area. (there are a lot of pokestuffs in any direction)
    pa_pokestops.png

And here it the park up the street from my place.
    sv_park_pokeparty.png
    It seems like a lot of activity, (there were around 50ish folks in park playing at that time) but I have nothing to compare it to.

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It's a new type of social interaction, at least in terms of scale and availability / application of augmented reality. It's similar to it's predecessor, Ingress, but that was more of game. I struggle to call Pokemon GO a "game", I feel it is more of a social activity.

theANMATOR2b and Kiwasi like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Some areas are dense. The local public library has about six PokeStops within about 100 metres of each other. Probably a hundred people doing the curciut last night. Other areas are more sparse.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  5. 00christian00

00christian00

No, that's the thing that suck most.
    There are place that doesn't have anything and places totally crowded. In my area there are 2 pokestops and one gym but no pokemon( if you are lucky you can encounter one in several days...). If I go toward downtown there are a lot of pokestops and also lots of pokemon.
    If I go the other direction there is almost nothing.
    I read about korean having to TRAVEL to reach the only location working in the whole nation.
    They say pokemon spawn rate is decided by cellular activity, so if you have lots of people playing pokemon go or ingress in that area you may find something otherwise you may wonder around for hours with nothing.
    I tried going in rural areas thinking I could find something cool, but for the above reason there was the total void...

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Well... sort of, but not really. (the tech part at least). Its important to consider, this isn't just something slapped onto google maps. There is a valid argument that google maps was created to (eventually) support this game. (not specifically pokemon, but the concept). The guy who developed this game, pretty much developed google maps and the tech that supports it. (street view / google earth / etc) Google Earth > Google Maps > Street View > Ingress > Pokemon. Same founder/team/group/tech, funded and driven by Google.

Indeed, it feels a lot like geo-caching mixed with virtual content and distributed on a mass scale. There are at least two massive features coming (one is in beta now) over the next months that continue to push the social aspects. In terms of AR/VR, this is the first big mass public adoption of that line of tech. It really is exciting, the ball is actually rolling now.

AlanMattano, MD_Reptile and Kiwasi like this.
  7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

All of my social media friends seem to indicate our area is a hot spot. I've caught a Chansey lying in bed, while others have to walk ks to find a lowly Zubat.

8. eses

eses

How long has this game been out, I thought based on this thread's posts that it has been out longer than a wheel or sliced bread... then checked the release date 6. of this month, so last week?

Think I saw an ad last week in Youtube, but skipped it because of weak look, not interested at all about Pokemons and geo whatever it was, although it probably has the same effect as Disney stuff, just sprinkle it on rat poison and it's good for everybody.

So folks can only mobilize themselves when someone told them to do so - kinda sad IMHO. Bit like that geo whatever it was... seems more like some force fed "next new thing" to do... well anyway someone makes some nice money and analytics data to sell.

This advertisement and quick publicity just makes me think that these reddit comments might have some truth to them (yep, didn't check the backgrounds and such... just pasting it here):

https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/4sa0w6/pokemon_go_geospatial_intelligence_gathering/

9. eses

eses

@BoredMormon

"All of my social media friends seem to indicate our area is a hot spot."

Sorry, I'm just kindly asking this (no offense) are you just enthusiastic about this product or are you advertising it :)

10. 00christian00

00christian00

Isn't it obvious by the shiny yellow lamborghini with pikachu on the hood in front of his house, that he has been bribed?

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

No offence taken. I'm enthusiastic and curious. Not advertising or affiliated with the game at all. Though I might try and jump on the band wagon and sell tutorials.

It's facinating to me as one of the biggest social phenomenons I've seen since Facebook. And penetration on this has been incredibly quick. Everyone (in my circles) is aware of it. Of course it's possible it's just a flash in the pan that will blow over in a couple of weeks. Will be interesting to see.

The specific comment about the hot spot was in response to zombies comments about distribution.

I wish. Although a car wouldn't be an effective bribe for me, I'm likely to sell it for the cash and keep driving my old vehicle.

00christian00 and eses like this.
  12. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

I'm sure this wasn't the intent, but I have no doubt various government agencies are already meeting to figure out how they can use it.

As to the popularity - Pokemon is pretty huge and has been for a long time. I read somewhere that at one point (years ago) it was responsible for 1/6th of Japan's economy. So I don't think this is a case of people being sheep. It's Pokemon and represents fond childhood memories for many.

Kiwasi likes this.
  13. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

I think it's a two stage de-population game put out by the elites. The first stage is to turn a good amount of people into mindless Pokezombies, then the second stage is to roll out the call of duty zombies real life edition where players buy guns, download the app and then go off to hunt the zombies. Brilliant!!!!!!!!

14. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yeah - I missed the buy - 2 days before it dropped, but people should probably hit the sell date easily. 1 month after they release there next console. :oops:

I'm curious how they randomly scattered the pokemon all over the world?
    I have not "played" however, I work at a facility that is not open to the general public, and two people have caught pokemon about 20 feet outside my office, this was on Monday. I found it really interesting and also a little weird that this happened.
    So it has to be some type of random lat - long type of 'scatter' to place, or originally place the pokemon all over the place - right?

Just interesting.

15. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

From what I can tell it's just random spawning. It isn't like a finite set were scattered around and can only be found once. They spawn over and over, pretty much anywhere it seems. I'm sure there are some probabilities involved so you have rare spawns, as well as different types based on your level. I've collected a dozen different varieties just around my house and office, and seem to get new types as I level up. So yeah, nothing magical or clever really, just popular IP.

16. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Not sure how the creatures drop. (I have one or two appear in my apartment in the evening). Though the types can be tied to geo data, like water/grass/etc. The markers (pokestops & gyms) were created (portals), during Ingress. Currently those don't change, but soon they will be adding the ability to suggest new spots, but more importantly, they ability to request locations be removed.

That is going to be interesting to see what criteria they use to determine new spots. Every public(foot traffic) business would be insane not to request a stop, it is free advertising, and been increasing sales at existing ones. How do they (niantic/google/pokemon co) choose? It will affect businesses (good or bad). And if they give everyone a stop, it kinda defeats the purpose/point of the core loop. It's going to be interesting to see how it evolves.

17. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Yes, it definitely is made with Unity. :)

The Unity Brighton Office is pretty much over-run with Magnemites and Voltorbs!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  18. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I drove by EA today. There were a bunch of people sitting out front staring at their phones.

By the way, what is a pokemon?

19. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

That is because the game hasn't been released in South Korea yet. Someone found out that the corner of the country mistakenly has access to the game.

20. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's a bit more complicated than that.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12183042/pokemon-go-south-korea-sokcho-holy-land

21. orb

orb

Place a few strategic spawn locations in North Korea and every North-South relations problem will sort itself out. Note: Kim Jong-un is not a Pokémon. Do not try to collect him.

22. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Whaaaaaaa? But people do not play "Made with unity" Spalshscreen games!!!!111one
    </flamebait>

(on a serious note)
    Yes it's a Unity game and it's friggin awesome. But a large part of it is also based upon Niantec's first game developed at Google - Ingress. I guess that's also where it takes the map infos from. But that's probably been said in this thread elsewhere already.

It's a cool phenomenon, though. I was walking through the city today and at certain hotspots there were 75+ people playing PokemonGo. And you can talk to most of them. I hope this thread of socialicing in person become more the trend the next few years. Despite that there surely will be exaggerated and uninformed horror stories in the media in no time (sadly).

Someone in our office today mentioned that commercial places like cafes can buy Pokestops (or was it arenas?) for money. Nintendo/Niantec would be mad to let this opportunity go right now.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  23. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yea, that is one part I find pretty funny. In fairness most social games are really about just getting your friends to increase the player base. The biggest games like FV, etc... encourage getting "friends" to play, but the tools are designed to actually avoid interaction. Sending a daily gift to your friends or whatever is just hitting a button to bulk message. Words with friends type games are closer, but still very abstract and the socializing is very limited to the game.

GO actually facilitates real social human interaction. I have met nearly a dozen of my neighbors in the last several days, many whom I have lived next to for several years! Now we hang out at the park at the same time, and take turns dropping lures. It's weird but cool.

Interestingly, several of the people I have met aren't into pokemon either. I have never really played any of the games, and pretty much only knew who pickachu was (from general media exposure). It seems like, for some people (like me), it is kinda fun because of how silly it is.

Ryiah, AlanMattano, Martin_H and 2 others like this.
  24. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Removing locations is going to be interesting. There are several local businesses and residential areas that are very upset with the influx of random strangers. PokeStops work well for a cafe or a department store. But they can wreak havoc on a church, school or residential area. Although I believe the game already blocks out schools and other government facilities.

Ryiah and zombiegorilla like this.
  25. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I had the same thought when I watched zombie's video. "Aha! No Personal Edition there and wildly successful". Well I guess that is all of the proof that is needed. :)

Acissathar likes this.
  26. Arowx

Arowx

What about battles isn't Pokemon about catching 'monsters' and training them to fight each other for sport?

Actually sounds kind of sadistic or definitely not sponsored by animal welfare charities or the world wildlife foundation.

27. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's pretty much the story line. Battles in Go are done at gyms to try and control them for your specific team. The victors leave a Pokemon at the gym as a defender. So battles are never directly PVP, instead you play against an AI controlled Pokemon left by another player.

Its actually one of the more elegant PVP systems I've seen. It neatly solves many of the issues with most casual PVP systems out there.

Of course the main game is about 'gotta catch 'em all'. At its heart the game is about collecting Pokemon. The gym battles are just a side show.

Ryiah likes this.
  28. 00christian00

00christian00

29. dturtle1

dturtle1

Just on the topic of PokeStops, businesses and flow on advertising. Wouldn't the stops be localised by mobile device usage, foot traffic and public places. Businesses where the extra traffic is beneficial would pay for more Pokemon exposure to attract clientele, assuming their business is looking for Pokemon players.

This seems extremely similar to youtube monetising "Home Video" and a potentially lucrative new avenue of advertising dollars. You could push themed pokemon for sporting events, public holiday's etc. It could be a whole new way of driving economic growth(retail, Hospitality , Media and Tourism), assuming you play Pokemon :)

30. Martin_H

Martin_H

31. Arowx

Arowx

Does Pokemon Go take into account weather conditions, as areas of the US are currently experience extremely high temperatures. To the point where it would be better for Pokemon and Monster Hunters to move to places with shade and air conditioning.

I do like the idea of Wild Pokemon migrating due to weather patterns, and avoiding cold and wet weather by moving to shopping malls and libraries.

Do smarter more advanced Pokemon prefer Museums, Art galleries and Libraries?

Or do Pokemon have biomes?

32. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This much they do have. Water Pokemon are found in rivers and lakes.

Not sure about the rest.

33. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yea, there are several types based on locations like grass, water and desert and a few others. Apparently lightening ones are more common near power substations. Stuff like that.

Ryiah likes this.
  34. Ryiah

Ryiah

Are there any Pokémon have the potential to be found near military complexes? Because there is great potential for a conspiracy theory where Japan is attempting to investigate the infrastructure of various countries.

It appears that China has similar thoughts too. I wonder how long until someone actually tries it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nintendo-pokemon-china-idUSKCN0ZV0YD

Kiwasi and zombiegorilla like this.
  35. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ha! That is just awesome!

Kiwasi likes this.
  36. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's awesome. Being invaded by Japan using Pokemon is certainly more fun then when they used Kamakazees. And probably more effective too.

After all, invasion via trade and IP worked for the Americans. No country with a McDonalds has gone to war with the states. I'm willing to bet the threat of losing Pokemon will have a similar effect with Japan.

37. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Heehee... Now it is starting to get entertaining....
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/14/technology/tmobile-pokemon-go-data/index.html?iid=EL

Ryiah likes this.
  38. Martin_H

Martin_H

39. omcahyono789

omcahyono789

hmm,, pokemon go still in the testing phase and not yet stable when operated in android

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  40. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

What about it? Telephone servers have been attracting customers by providing free access to popular services here for years. The Internet hasn't fallen down yet.

41. 00christian00

00christian00

No biggie, it works so few times it doesn't affect the bandwidth at all.
    It was already horrible when it was in soft launch, but now that it's almost global is totally unplayable!
    I never saw something top the chart with so many bad reviews. Here in Italy it has an average review score of 2.5/5 .
    And I can understand the server issue(well I could, before they decided to launch in more countries when they couldn't even handle the few they already had), but it has so many core gameplay bugs it's ridiculous.
    It's less than alpha stage, even when the server works I have to restart the app every 5 minutes on average with many cases freezing after less than 1 minute...

42. Martin_H

Martin_H

43. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Actually the opposite is generally true. It is typically more stable and efficient on android (over iOS). At least with higher end android devices. iOS has been getting a few more fixes to match up the android release. But in reality, it isn't overly stable on either platform. And in many cases, the stability is related to the backend (and in a couple of cases, service providers).

Kiwasi likes this.
  44. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This alone is pretty amazing. My experience has been very similar. Last week, unless you were on android, 5-7pm was offline most of the week. Freezes very often. (often though, I check my journal and the task I was doing, did complete). I had a gps bug last week that made my character run back and forth for nearly an hour. (I racked up nearly 3km sitting at my desk.). A friend of mine at work tried to start last wednesday, and got a error saying that new account creation was currently disabled due to volume and to try again tomorrow.

And yet... despite the massive bugs and spotty service, it is still exploding. The install/usage/revenue numbers are unprecedented, radically beyond anything in the past. Imagine what it be if they didn't have the bugs? ;)

45. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

What is funny, is that if the other providers follow suit, (which I wouldn't be surprised) to avoid losing customers, then all they will have done is just cut themselves out of the Pokemon cash windfall.

Martin_H likes this.
  46. Billy4184

Billy4184

47. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I didn't watch the full video. I'm aware of what net neutrality is. And what the benefits and downsides are.

But let's face it, at its heart net neutrality is a very American concept. It's about protecting free speech, and the general idea that more freedom is good, and we can't trust governments to govern 'for the people' without a big stick to keep them in line. In short I really don't buy it.

In many ways net neutrality promotes the general lawlessness of the Internet. And lawlessness is a bad thing.

Ryiah likes this.
  48. Ryiah

Ryiah

Plus many of them don't truly understand what is covered by freedom of speech and what is not.

zombiegorilla and Kiwasi like this.
  49. neginfinity

neginfinity

As far as I know, it is less about free speech and more about being anti-monopoly. For example without it ISP could block or cap traffic to resources of its competitiors.. or just outright cut access to anyone who doesn't pay "website protection fee".

GoesTo11 and Martin_H like this.
  50. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Attending the Unity Roadshow today. Pokemon Go was at the end of the showreel.