Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Warnings about importing Substance files

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Bordeaux_Fox, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Hello,

I'm wondering why Unity display a warning on startup when I'm having Substance files (sbsar) in my project.
    Because I already have the Substance plugin in my project. It's working so I do not see any reason the console also flooding with these messages for every ( ! ) material:

"Built-in support for Substance Designer materials has been removed from Unity. To continue using Substance Designer materials, you will need to install Allegorithmic's external importer from the Asset Store."

I already have the newest Substance plugin from Asset Store.

That is really super annoying. :(

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

The workaround I use is that I place all SBSAR into a folder named specifically "SBSAR~". The "~" at the end makes the folder invisible to Unity. The benefits are, you won't see those messages anymore, and Unity won't waste time importing assets that it doesn't actually use. I recommend the same thing for other external assets, like blend files.

3. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Ok, but I do not get the point about this warning messages because I did everything they ask me in that warning "Use the lastest plugin from Asset Store". I did, but it keeps spamming the console. :(

I drag the sbsar files into my asset folder like it is instructed in the manual from the asset store just Unity tells me I should not do so? I thought Unity is having a partnership with Substance?

It is really a problem Unity is flooding my console with unimportant messages, so that the real important messages from the actual development and scripts get lost between.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. dgoyette

dgoyette

Hmm. Maybe nevermind what I said. It's been a while since I gave up on the Substance plugin, and just resorted to exporting textures from SD into Unity, rather than using the SBSARs directly in Unity. So my advice us placing the SBSARs in a ~ folder obviously isn't right for you, since you actually need Unity to see those SBSAR files.

In that case, I'm not sure what's up. I would think that if you had the plugin installed, Unity would know not to spam you with those warnings. Does this happen on a brand new project with the most recent Unity and Substance plugin? Maybe you could ask on the Allegorithmic forums whether that's expected behavior.

5. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Well, I just started a new project two weeks ago. I use the Substance plugin from Asset Store to get all required mask maps for HDRP. So I thought that's we way of doing it. I did not encountered any issue so far. The files from Substance are generating HDRP materials automatically.

6. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Can someone from Unity explain why we get this warning?

7. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

But the warning message for the console is hardcoded in the Unity binaries, is it not?

"Built-in support for Substance Designer materials has been removed from Unity. To continue using Substance Designer materials, you will need to install Allegorithmic's external importer from the Asset Store."

8. Sorry, I misread your thread, I go to sleep. Sorry for the confusion. (I have deleted my post in the mean time), don't mind me, I'll see myself out.