Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Warning: Your current multi-scene setup has inconsistent Lighting settings...

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Peter77, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Playing my project in 2018.2.0b1 editor, outputs the following warning, every time an additive scene is loaded:
    These additive scenes contain UI elements only. I use separate scenes for various UI elements, such as Pause, HUD, shared menu screens such as Options, Perks and Awards and so on...

I don't see any way how I can homogenize the lighting settings of these scenes, because they're loaded additively to every actual level in the game. The game features 60 levels where each has different lighting settings.

How would I homogenize the lighting settings of these shared UI scenes to the actual 60 levels that have different lighting settings?

Furthermore, additive scenes are loaded sequentially in the same order in my project. I took care of that while writing the loading code.

How can I get rid of the warning, without causing a mega maintenance overhead on my side?

2. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey @Peter77

Currently, this is the intended behaviour in 2018.2 to avoid further conflicts regarding lighting settings while loading scenes additively in Unity. The warning message simply says that the lighting settings you have for each scene doesn't match and can lead to problems while loading the data at runtime. You can try to match all the lighting settings for your scenes and use the same values/options in order to resolve the problem. Hope this helps, if not please let us know.

Thanks

Peter77 likes this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That's the thing, I believe it is not possible. Those additive scenes are shared across every level in the game.

I could match lighting settings of the pause menu scene with "Level 1", but Unity outputs the warning if I load the pause menu scene in "Level 2", due to Level 2 having different lighting settings that Level 1.

How can I solve this issue? I'm very interested to get this warning fixed, because I aim to have zero warnings in the project.

4. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

I'm not entirely sure if I follow. Can you perhaps share a small reproducible project with us?

Thanks

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

For example, "Level 1" consists of these scenes:
    1. Harbour.unity
    2. PauseMenu.unity loaded additively
    "Level 2" consists of these scenes:
    1. Trainyard.unity
    "Level 3" consists of these scenes:
    1. SpaceStation.unity
    "Hardbour.unity", "Trainyard.unity" and "SpaceStation.unity" all have different lighting settings.
    The "PauseMenu.unity" scene is loaded additively to every level, that's what I meant when I was referring to it as a "shared scene".

This is a very simplified example. In the actual game, I don't load only "PauseMenu.unity" additively, but a lot more UI scenes.

I hope that makes things more clear?

Lohoris2 likes this.
  6. optimise

optimise

If I understand correctly, it seems like your PauseMenu.unity scene has lighting setting too. Do u have any particular reason to keep the lighting setting in PauseMenu.unity scene? Perhaps remove lighting setting at PauseMenu.unity scene should fix the problem.

Peter77 likes this.
  7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

To my knowledge, every scene in Unity has lighting settings and you can't remove them.

Here are screenshots of the PauseMenu.unity lighting settings:

lighting_scene.png lighting_globalmaps.png lighting_objectmaps.png

Everything is already turned off, but as far as I know, you can't tell Unity to remove the entire lighting settings from any scene. Which is probably why they added the warning...

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In fact this'll affect a fair few mobile projects and just about every project that tries to improve on prefabs. Perhaps all warnings (especially this one) could be optionally toggled somewhere?

9. optimise

optimise

@kemalakay, I think it should have an option to completely strip out lighting from scene.

NotaNaN, Karsten, Shorely and 5 others like this.
  10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

(Case 1031433) 2018.2: multi-scene setup has inconsistent Lighting settings

11. FallenTreeGames

FallenTreeGames

This warning is reasonable if there's a way to disable lighting from a scene, or set to ignore when loaded additively. If there isn't one yet, can the warning be disabled until that time? It's going to be a problem for a lot of projects such as ours, where we assume lighting is ignored in additive scenes. We're frequently loading additive scenes so this really spams the warning output.

Harinezumi likes this.
  12. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to tell that we processed @Peter77's bug and we'll address it very soon for 2018.2. Thank you for reporting the issue and we really appreciate your input :)

13. thefranke

thefranke

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone,

I originally put the feature in because additive scene loading causes so many headaches across different games. The idea is to warn the user of settings that can change the entire look of a game if the scene loading order changes. For instance, two scenes with two different skyboxes will issue this warning, because only one skybox (the one of the active scene) can be shown and will be used when baking them together.

However, @Peter77's case is causing problems with the warning system because it is perfectly reasonable to mix one scene like a Pause menu with multiple other scenes that have varying settings. Currently, you cannot do much to fix the warnings, so I will have to re-adjust some things around the environment warnings.

14. xVergilx

xVergilx

+1, I'm using scenes as packages for various things, not only UI's but managers as well. As of current beta .9 nothing has changed.

I wonder, if there will be any releases that allow complete lighting strip from the scenes (since they're already loaded additively and never switched to active)?

rjakob13 likes this.
  15. thefranke

thefranke

Unity Technologies

FYI, the warnings for ambient will no longer appear as soon as the next patch hits.

optimise likes this.
  16. optimise

optimise

Hi @thefranke, it will be even better if you can fix scene B missing lightmap issue when loading scene A then loading scene B additive.

17. thefranke

thefranke

Unity Technologies

Hey @optimise, do you have a reproducible or ticket for this issue?

18. optimise

optimise

thefranke likes this.
  19. xVergilx

xVergilx

.f1 version is available, same freaking warnings.

Great. Can we have a toggle to turn them off? Somewhere? In the project settings, I don't know. Please?
    They clutter console, each time my setup is loaded. In editor, in game. Each bloody time.

I would understood this, if the Unity had a proper way to script around Lighting settings to automate the process, but there's none.
    I don't want to manually assign same lighting setting for 11 scenes, 10 of which do NOT use them.
    Moreover, would never use those settings due to how scenes are loaded.

Scenes are never loaded separately. Their load order is always constant, which is enforced by our own tools.

Editor Settings tab has enough space. Just put a logging level for multi-scene setup there. It's not that hard.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    ahSOLO1, LabOSM, Yukken and 19 others like this.