Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Warning to all my friends: BEWARE Optimise Mesh Data!!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by joshcamas, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:44 PM.

1. joshcamas

joshcamas

I just spent several days trying to figure out why I kept getting an error when combining a specific mesh, only in build. It was SO strange, since it was only due to that mesh, and doing certain things would "fix" it, but in an incredibly strange manner.

Turns out I stupidly enabled "Optimize Mesh Data" (Strip Unused Mesh Components) in the player settings without knowing what exactly it does.

Soo yeah if you're having strange issues with meshes, try this simple trick! And don't randomly enable features without knowing what they do. :^)

I'll go back to banging my head against the wall.

Good luck :3

Related note, it'd be cool to have the option to choose what components are stripped, sort of like how you can choose what vertices are compressed.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Thanks for the warning, but uh, isn't it common sense? Do we need to be told that pressing things without knowing what they do cause problems? Honestly?

BRB someone said I had to type in format c:/

MD_Reptile and Ryiah like this.
  3. joshcamas

joshcamas

Kinda meant to be an ironic post lmao

4. Korindian

Korindian

I also had a problem with "Optimize Mesh Data" that took quite a few hours to figure out. I was loading Normal Maps at runtime, and they wouldn't show in the build because that feature was enabled.

joshcamas likes this.
  5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Isn’t it enabled by default?

Ony likes this.
  6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Irony.

I do not think that word means what you think it means!

Regardless, thanks for the heads up.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Scary part is Windows 10 just asks if you're positive you want to format. I wasn't crazy enough to hit Y to see what would happen on my main system. If I had a VM with snapshots handy I would totally have tried it. :p

hippocoder likes this.
  8. Ony

Ony

meanie

MD_Reptile and hippocoder like this.
  9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We are getting a bit derailed.

I just checked. The checkbox is on by default. So I don't think the OP "stupidly" enabled it. It was always enabled.

It used to be very safe to leave on, but (semi)recently they changed its behaviour and it has been known to obliterate more data than it should (I have filed at least one bug report on this).

joshcamas and Ony like this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I knew it. When I saw in alerts that Ony had quoted my post, I KNEW I was gonna get told off. I dunno how, just knew.

Ony likes this.
  11. Ony

Ony

hah! <3

hippocoder likes this.
  12. joshcamas

joshcamas

Interesting to hear this wasn't my fault lol