Search Unity

Warning : Safari 4 beta + Flip4Mac = no Unity web player

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Yann, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Yann

Yann

More precisely, Flip4Mac thinks it is responsible for loading the Unity player content... :?

Sometimes it will produce a blank page, and sometimes it will allow the Unity player to "live" under some lines of Flip4Mac garbage text.

Unless somebody knows how to stop Flip4Mac from preempting Unity files, the only solution I found was to remove Flip4Mac. Now it seems OK.

[EDIT] The only real solution : *do not install* this beta, or get rid of it with the included uninstaller. See my last post...

2. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

My solution was to remove Safari 4 and file a bug request with Apple (being the only Beta technology of the three, it seems like their mistake). Don't know -- only spent a couple minutes with it.

3. Yann

Yann

You're wiser than me... I just love the new "top site" feature, graphical zooming and so on, so I still haven't removed it. Filed a bug to Apple, too.

4. alejobrainz

alejobrainz

I get the error to. Just filed a bug to apple.

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Me too, I'm enjoying Safari 4 quite a bit... and I never had Flip4Mac installed so Unity content is working just fine so far.

For anyone who misses the loading bar gtjuggler helped me with a few Terminal commands to get it back:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeToolbarRedesign -bool NO
    defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4LoadProgressStyle -bool NO

Ethan

6. Yann

Yann

Works very good and feels more like "home"... thanks :)

7. Yann

Yann

OK, Charles was right, this is a very serious case : Safari 4 beta creates a real mess on your Mac. :?

Most recent example : all of a sudden, my beloved LightUp (best SketchUp plugin on the planet, see here : http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=15048) stopped recognizing the file pathes for IBL skyboxes if they were selected with the file browser. I had to enter the full pathes manually.

Uninstalled Safari 4, and now everything is working again !

But... so long, "top sites" :cry:

8. Erik Harg

Erik Harg

This problem was supposedly fixed in a patch commited in the WebKit repository 9 days ago (link), but that obviously has some time to go before it is bundled into a Safari 4.0 release. But it will, I assume.

In the meantime I, at least, will try to download the latest nightly WebKit build (which isn't Safari 4, but still), and see if the issue really is resolved there.

9. Erik Harg

Erik Harg

I've tested various WebKit builds now. The problem was indeed fixed between the nightly builds r41545 and r41698, so all the latest WebKit builds should work fine with the Unity web plugin. Now we'll just have to wait for new Safari 4 beta/rc builds to be released...

10. davidrivera

davidrivera

I just download Safari 4 and the webplayer now works.

11. Erik Harg

Erik Harg

Yes, agreed.

I can confirm that Safari 4.0 (5530.17) seems to be working well with Unity3D plugin content. Silly bug, but good that it's fixed.

12. Augustum

Augustum

Safari 4 Release download is available through Software Update!

Unity plugin works!! :D

13. langju

langju

I am using Snow Leopard and it seems that the unity webplayer plugin doesn't works with safari.

Any idea ? Where am i wrong ?

thanks for your replies...

14. Augustum

Augustum

I can confirm that it's not working in Snow Leopard w/Safari.

I did just download and installed the Safari version 4.0.4 update and I reinstalled the Unity plugin (Unity Web Player Unity Player) to make sure. [Safari : Help : Installed Plug-ins]

It does work in Firefox version 3.5.4

15. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate

You need to run Safari in 32 bit, at least until there is a 64 bit Unity plugin. The same will apply to Firefox, if a 64 bit Firefox comes out.

16. Augustum

Augustum

ahhhh.. that makes sense! Thanks!

17. Morgan

Morgan

It might be best to state clearly that Safari 64 is not supported right on the webplayer download page. I've seen this issue cause people some frustration, which is potentially embarrassing for those of us promoting Unity to others :)

Everyday users probably won't look for this thread, but they'd see a notice on the download page (and maybe a screenshot to explain the switch to 32-bit?).

18. Yann

Yann