Search Unity

Bug Warning on selecting 2 particle systems with different modules enabled

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Nixaan, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Nixaan

Nixaan

When selecting 2 particle systems where one of the modules is enabled on one and disabled on the other reports next warning:

Failed to store Builtin Skins/LightSkin/Images/ShurikenToggleNormalMixed.png > Builtin Skins/LightSkin/Images/ShurikenToggleNormalMixed.png

Unity version 2021.1.2f1, probably related to inspector being confused about how to display the tick in-front of that particle module.

2. jeffomatic

jeffomatic

This warning still appears as of 2022.2.15f1. I've been seeing this for what feels like at least a year, and I'm a little surprised that this might be the only place on the internet that mentions the bug. I went ahead and reported it to Unity as IN-39692.

Update 2023.5.9: Unity rejected my bug, claiming that they couldn't repro it. That's disappointing, given that the bug is so easy to reproduce for me. It's possible I have some local setting that causes this, but I seriously doubt it. At any rate, I'm hoping other folks can help report the bug as well.

Here's the content of my bug report:

1. What happened

If you select multiple particle systems in the scene hierarchy, and the particle systems have different sets of features enabled (e.g., one has "Noise" enabled and one doesn't), then the following warning will be spammed to console:

Failed to store Builtin Skins/LightSkin/Images/ShurikenToggleNormalMixed.png > Builtin Skins/LightSkin/Images/ShurikenToggleNormalMixed.png

This seems to be an issue with the inspector attempting to display a mixed-state checkbox for any feature that is not consistently enabled/disabled across the selected particle systems. This seems to be confirmed by GUI glitches when you hover over the area where the checkbox is supposed to be.

2. How can we reproduce it using the example you attached

First, create three particle systems in a scene:
    • Particle system A: in the default state
    • Particle system B: duplicate of A
    • Particle system C: duplicate of A, but enable an additional feature, such as Noise
    With the console in view, select each pair of particle systems. The following should occur:
    • A & C: the warning appears
    • B & C: the warning appears
    • A & B: the warning does NOT appear

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    SushkoTech likes this.
  3. Tortuap

Tortuap

Have you create a project where it could be reproduced?