Search Unity

Assets War Ants creature pack

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Goatogrammetry, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

soldier_progress_02.jpg

Its taken a long, long time but I've almost finished my War Ants. I'm planning on adding them to the asset store when I finish. I've been using this project to learn modern AAA type modeling techniques which I havent needed until now, such as root motion, baking normals, PBR shaders, C#, and of course all of the Unity specific stuff such as setting up animation controllers etc. I'm happy with the results so far. I have these guys set up to walk around via joystick in my example scene, and they can do the full range of movement, such as strafing, jumping, walking and running, and they have calm/agro modes. They're set up with hand-built LOD meshes and some have their sounds done. Still to do: Add a larva for the worker to carry around, finish the sounds, add a few extra animations, possibly add an exploded abdomen to the queen, and then make a final demo build and other promo material.

Here are some detail images:

war_ant_plain_01.jpg

This is the War Ant. He's the heavy tank obviously. I've put together an animation test video just showing some basic movement, attacks, and deaths. LOD0 = 8,900 tris + 2,700 hairs + 280 eye domes. LOD1 = 4,000 total, LOD2 = 1,800 total, LOD3 = 980 tris total. +-95 animations including 9 attacks and 4 deaths.

soldier_plain_01.jpg

Above is the soldier. I think these creatures will work well in many settings. They're ants, but not quite. They'd work well in Science Fiction, Post-Apocalypse, Fantasy, or whatever. LOD0 = 8,300 triangles + some for the hair. LOD1 = 4,834 LOD2 = 2,995 LOD3 = 2,203, a 2K texture set, and +-95 animations (Including 10 attacks and 4 deaths).

soldier_scene_01.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

Here is the queen. Unlike the others, she has no LOD work done since she's a final boss. With the hairs, eye domes and body parts she's about 24,000 triangles. She's based on and using the War Ant's skeleton and animations, with a few specific to her, and slowed down a bit to give a feeling of weight. Of course she's got a different set of claws, mandibles, wings, and abdomen bones, so she doesn't really act or feel like a reskin. Her textures are 4K

queen_view_02.jpg
    queen_plain_01.jpg

One thing I really like about the queen is her complicated head. She has all kinds of extra jaw parts that the others don't have.

queen_under_head_01.jpg

3. tawdry

tawdry

Really awesome job on the animation.I have only ever animated one thing a tiger i made and it took forever to do the animations and havent done any animation since:D.So much more time consuming than the modeling so very impressive fluid motion.

Goatogrammetry likes this.
  4. Serinx

Serinx

These look incredible! Any idea how much the pack will cost?

5. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

Actually, I'd love to get some input on that subject. I'd kinda thought of selling the Queen and War Ant as a pack, the Worker and Soldier as a different pack (those two groups use the same base animations for the legs but have different bones for abdomens, heads etc) and then perhaps making a mega pack with all four creatures + the larva. I do see some other people do individuals and then a group pack thats a bit cheaper than the sum of its parts. A lot of monsters don't come with sounds and only a fraction of the animations-- I kinda consider this a premium set but I can't really price it that way because... you know. Indies are poor.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

This is movie quality, Automoda! Very impressive

7. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

Its taken a week but it had to be done... The queen's abdomen can explode, exposing guts and eggs. I've got about 10 eggs and clumps of guts on the same texture. The queen's abdomen can be swapped from healthy to exploded and I've boosted the resolution on the abdomen to make it fun to look at up close. I still have to do some particles, perhaps an animation/sound to go with this, and code it. I'm not a great programmer after all, so it may take a little extra time.

8. Mister-D

Mister-D

looks very good , great work!
    price; i would say 75$ for the lot(i know this sounds cheap but u need to consider u will get ur money back after enough sales, and if it doesnt sell well u can always lower a bit.

9. Denisowator

Denisowator

Thanks for the nightmares. They should put this in Fallout 5.

10. TheSenpaiCode

TheSenpaiCode

I like the style of these ants. They look great.