Search Unity

Wanting to make a VR game in Unity. Getting acquainted with Blender.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by TheMixon, Feb 8, 2019.

1. TheMixon

TheMixon

Hello, playing with VR triggered something inside of me and here I am learning Blender and wanting to tackle on Unity to make my dream game.
    I currently finished Blender's official Fundamentals on YouTube, which gave me a better idea about the software. I produced some simple assets like a tonfa, pack of cigs, etc.
    I won't lie - I'm willing to cut corners and learning only with Unity in mind, also relying on Asset Store and other resources. I don't want to charge for my game, so I think it should be okay in the end.
    What's the best course of action for someone like me? Doing the traditional anvil, donut exercises in Blender, then proceeding to Unity, or are there some quick and dirty tutorials, that will just show me what's important for Unity, interaction in VR, what assets may come in handy?
    It's much too early to make a roadmap of my game, but I'm fine with making baby steps being something like:
    v0.0.1 - You spawn in an empty room and can move your hands
    v0.0.2 - You can now pick up some items and push down a table
    v0.0.3 - There is now a menu before you spawn
    v.1.2.1 - Handguns now act as melee weapons if held by the barrel
    you get the picture. My main inspiration are H3VR and Madness: Project Nexus 2, as I followed the devs for a long time and seen my dream "from zero to hero" scenario play out in front of me.

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome to the forums!

I like that you used the example "zero to hero" and find that inspiring. The one thing I want to caution you against with this mentality, though, is recognizing what zero really is, and how getting from zero to "0.0.1" is a larger task than most realize.

Humor me by letting me tell two "zero to hero" stories: one classic, and one specific to game development.

- - -
    The Classic

Lucas was a peasant boy living on a farm in the kingdom of Dreamsdain. He dreamed of glory and would watch the knights travel along the road on their way to the castle. One day, a group of bandits led by a man named Skor attack his farm, kill his parents, and leave him for dead. Lucas retrieves his father's sword from its hiding place in the barn, and sets out to become a great warrior and avenge his parents.

While traveling, Lucas meets an old man. Lucas is brash and challenges him to a duel. The old man laughs and dismisses Lucas, who is furious and raises his sword, prepared to attack. In a flash, the old man snaps to his feet, throwing his weathered robe aside to reveal worn and beaten armor. A heavily-used sword flies from its sheathe quick as a steed, crashing into Lucas's father's sword. The heirloom blade, despite its quality, is knocked from Lucas's hand and goes flying. The old man reveals himself to be Victor, a former sergeant in the king's army, and tells Lucas he is foolish for attempting to fight him.

After some heartwarming conversation, the two become closer and the old soldier decides to train Lucas. Lucas's ineptitude, while entertaining, is frustrating, and he nearly admits defeat before some inspirational words from Victor help him recommit himself. Over time, Lucas improves until eventually he is able to hold his own, and even gains the upper hand against Victor in a sparring match.

Months later, while resting at an inn, Lucas is harassed by some raucous men in the corner. Lucas suddenly recognizes one of the men -- called Boal -- as being a lieutenant of the outlaws that attacked his farm. His temper flares, and he stands to challenge the man, but Victor cautions against it. The bandits are too many and would surely overwhelm Lucas if he just charged right in, the old man says.

Instead, Lucas leaves the inn and meets a girl named Ann outside tending to the livestock. A young love blossoms between them. They spend increasing amounts of time together when Lucas isn't working odd jobs and honing his warrior skills. He considers whether he should abandon his quest to defeat the bandits and instead create a life with Ann. Victor tells him that many have found happiness by giving up one dream for another.

One evening, Lucas is helping Ann bring the cows back from grazing when some men surprise them from a thicket: Boal and two nameless cronies! The bandits attempt to abduct Ann, but Lucas steps in to her defense. In the ensuing struggle, Lucas manages to kill one of the nameless bandits and slashes Boal's cheek before driving the bandits off. Lucas himself was seriously injured in the struggle, and Ann helps him back to the inn where he spends weeks recovering. Nonetheless, he is determined to pursue Boal and extract Skoar's location from him before executing him.

THIS IS THE END OF THE FIRST BOOK IN A HUGE SERIES

- - -
    The Game Developer

Lucas was a high school student living in a small house in Dresden, Ohio. He dreamed of becoming a game developer and would follow the progress of some of his favorites on Twitter and Kickstarter. One day, he came up with an idea for an amazing game, called "Adventures in Dreamsdain", which would be the best game anyone had ever played. Lucas downloads Unity from the Internet and sets off to YouTube to become a great game developer and achieve his dreams.

While learning, Lucas meets a random Internet stranger. Lucas is brash and tells the stranger about his game idea. The stranger laughs and dismisses Lucas, who is furious and states he will make his dream game anyway. In a flash, the stranger links to a modest resume and a marginally popular game on the App Store. A heavily-used link to some official tutorials flies from its sheathe quick as 5G, crashing into Victor's forum post. The stranger reveals himself to be Schneider, a hobbyist game developer and professional web developer for a GIS company in central Pennsylvania.

After some heartwarming conversation, the two become closer and the hobbyist decides to teach Lucas. Lucas's ineptitude, while entertaining, is frustrating, and he nearly admits defeat before some inspirational words from Schneider help him recommit himself. Over time, Lucas improves until eventually he is able to create Roll-A-Ball without following along with the tutorial, and he even adds some extra features to make the game more his own.

Months later, while chatting on the forum, Lucas is harassed by an idea for a new game -- not his dream game, but a smaller version of it -- that he wanted to create. His excitement flares, and as he mentions starting on the project, Schneider cautions him against it. The game is still too ambitious, and would surely overwhelm Lucas if he just charged right in, the hobbyist says.

Instead, Lucas logs off the forum and spends some time focusing on learning. A sort of peace blossoms within him. He spends increasing amounts of time learning and practicing the basics when he isn't creating ridiculously small game projects or pushing himself to try something new. He considers whether he should abandon his dream game idea and instead make only small games and editor extensions. Schneider tells him that many have found happiness by giving up one dream for another.

One evening, Lucas is learning how to use git to manage his code when an idea strikes him out of nowhere: that second game idea he had! With everything he knows now, he'd surely be able to create that. Lucas gets started and spends several weeks putting things together. He manages to create a simple character editor and even builds a decent UI management system before realizing the game idea is still too big. Lucas is emotionally exhausted from the struggle, and takes some time off to recover. Nonetheless, he is determined to make real progress on that smaller game idea to gain enough experience to some day be able to take on his dream game.

THIS IS THE END OF THE FIRST BOOK IN A HUGE SERIES

- - -

So all of this is not intended to steer you away from your grand game idea. I just want to put it in perspective and have you think about things a bit differently. Zero is a place we all start out, and the end of that first book is 0.0.1. Attaining the experience you'll need to do what you want has no shortcut that I'm aware of.

Hope you enjoyed the story! Best of luck to you, and let us know if you need anything!

3. TheMixon

TheMixon

That was a nice read, thanks for your post.