Search Unity

Wanting to know if I am using too many vertices for my base building system.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kennethrunescape2019, Mar 18, 2019.

1. kennethrunescape2019

kennethrunescape2019

The current build in the 3d model editor comprises of:
    7 Foundations,
    1 Regular Wall,
    1 Window Wall,
    1 Doorway Wall.
    1 Set of Stairs,
    4 Pillars.

The current number of vertices being used is slightly less than 2000. I am wanting to create a base building system that looks good, yet does not compromise too much by using too much GPU. What would be an optimal vertices count for something like this?

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

the only real way to answer your question is for you to learn how to use the profiler and interpret that. I can't help you there, but plenty of programmers here can probably point you in the right direction.

As to the modeling, the best thing you can do is model with efficiency. Post wireframes and we can assess that. But there is more to mesh optimization that just the geometry involved -- your texture organization will likely be a bigger concern.

Also, beginners mindset is always, "am I within safe limits?" But it should be, "I've defined exactly how my game has to look. Now how do I make that work?" By iterating on your work you will inevitably streamline towards efficiency, but if you have some idea like "I can only use 500 tri's for a prop" you shoehorn yourself for no reason.

You can pick up lots of advice about modular environment construction from the wiki at polycount.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Also, it depends heavily on your target platform.