Search Unity

Wanted to share my latest work in progress - Driveable Vehicle Package

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesArndt, Feb 24, 2012.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This is a video to demonstrate the functionality of the Unity project 'Driveable Truck Demo'. I am offering this entire project: models, textures, scripts, etc for sale on the fatBOX Online Asset Store. This project is tailored towards iOS projects. The entire world mesh is only 9,445 polygons and the player vehicle is an efficient 750 polygons. The artwork is provided as source 3DS Max files and in the Unity native .FBX file format. This project is on my new asset store, which is growing every day and is definitely a work-in-progress. I have to keep getting new assets up daily to build up a decent repository of good projects and assets.

This is the link to purchase:
    http://www.fatboxsoftwarestore.moon.../Unity-Project---Driveable-Truck-Demo/1214465

and of course a Unity webplayer version for folks:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/DriveableTruckDemo/WebPlayer.html

2. jeffmorris

jeffmorris

Is there a driver's view from inside the cab of the truck?

3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

No, but I could definitely add that functionality. It didn't even occur to me to be honest.

4. markusb

markusb

the steering is very well. Like it.

5. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

6. Tazadar

Tazadar

Controls seem to be slow to respond :(

7. carking1996

carking1996

Looks good. But i dont like the camera on the truck demo at all. I'd move it closer, not maket it move back, and move it a bit higher. I cant see whats in front of me.

8. SevenBits

SevenBits

It's great, and much more controllable than Unity's race car demo...

Stupid Question: Does the vehicle use wheel colliders?

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This is an update on the top down ortho racer project. Got checkpoints working with a lap counter. Also smoothed out the steering and acceleration a bit, so it steers a bit sharper, drifts a little less and accelerates better. Let me know what could be improved.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/WIP_CAR_ORTHO/WebPlayer.html

10. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@SevenBits - Yes in fact it does use (4) wheel colliders with their tweakable settings and it also uses (2) primitive box colliders. It runs very well on iPad and iPhone.

11. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Nice steering. Good sensation of weight in the demo.
    Grip seems to be at maximum or it seems like you can't slide or lose control.

I know you said you can tweak the settings. By changing settings, can the cars:

Switch to rear/front traction only?
    Can the cars powerslide?
    Can it spin its wheels if you floor it or brake hard locking the wheels?
    Adjust the weight, friction, reaction to bumping a collidable object?

Do the cars have suspensions?

Thanks

12. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@moonquake - the vehicle uses wheel colliders which do simulate suspension. There are bounciness settings and friction settings you can tweak to get the right feel for your project. I like the feedback on a e-brake option to powerslide. Right now its front wheel drive only, but i think it wouldn't be too hard to put in the option for rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There isn't any sort of satisfying sliding action, I think a minimal amount of slide would make it feel slightly more realistic - perhaps a tiny bit less grip on back wheels?

14. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

15. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This is a pack of (14) different particle FX created using Unity's particle systems and utilizing custom created particle FX textures. These FX range from nebulous gas clouds, to blood spatter to toxic poison blobs! The particles are game ready, intended to target PC/Mac projects, but with a little optimization would work well for mobile applications as well.

http://fatboxsoftwarestore.moonfruit.com/#/shop/4561066528/Unity-Particle-FX-Pack/1250691

Once you follow the link look over at the Live Demo links to the right and make sure to walk around the particles in the live Unity demo. Watch some of them in action in the HD Youtube video as well. They need to be seen moving to be truly appreciated!

16. Gorlog

Gorlog

hmm if u dont mind i add some ai+speedlimier gui and camera view on ur project?