Search Unity

Want to create bill fetching application.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jason066, Aug 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason066

jason066

Hey There!

Hello, I am new to Unity, I do not know much about it, I'm learning unity for my final year project. I was looking to design a application to get an estimated bill. The user just need to enter the reference number. The application calculate the bill according to the reference number and show on the screen. Is it possible to make this type of application?

Thanks!

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but be aware that it will have the heavy resource usage that comes with a game engine and may have performance and battery life problems on some devices due to this.

3. jason066

jason066

Got it.

Could you please share with me some guides or tutorials on learning this type of high end programming to create this type of applications in Unity?

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Ultimately Unity is a game engine used for games and certain visualisation applications. It's not designed nor is best suited as a geneal purpose development platform for business apps. I very much doubt you'll find a wealth of tutorials on creating these kinds of business apps with Unity.

That's not to say you cannot do it, just that it's not what it's designed for. You can spread butter on toast with a spoon, it's just not intended for that purpose. ;)

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm not aware of any tutorials on creating traditional applications within Unity. If you want to go down this rabbit hole you're going to have to be able to adapt what you learn in normal game development tutorials to application development.

Another thing too is that unlike app frameworks you're going to have to reinvent the wheel. For example creating a file loading dialog is handled for you by most app frameworks and typically only takes a few lines of code. In Unity you're going to have to make the dialog and all of its functionality yourself from scratch.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  6. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Sorry but I'm not going to click on that unsolicited link nor perform any work for you reverse engineering anything. I very much doubt anyone would either.

I'm also not sure how it relates to your original question.

7. jason066

jason066

No worries!
    Thanks for your kind response on my question.

8. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I hate to be picky but why would you need a game engine for something like that? Just use Excel to create spreadsheets of your regular Bills.

9. jason066

jason066

I don't know much about unity, which is why I asked my question here

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

A third party extension isn't necessary nor do I need five minutes. That payment website has a video showcasing their system. I've linked directly to it in the spoiler below for simplicity.

See how the payment system instantly loads? Okay, now try the following lightweight game made with Unity.

https://atmos.uw.edu/~dargan/EarthGamesUW/InfraredEscape/

You can ignore the logo since that can be disabled. What can't be disabled is the progress bar and the lengthy load process. Unity WebGL builds are not small. At the very least you have to download a few megabytes. Pakistan web speeds are pretty bad. Anything made in Unity would take them a minute or two at a bare minimum.

I don't know what it's like where you are but in the United States dialup connections are still very common and a few megabytes in a best case scenario would take 10 to 12 minutes on dialup. Absolutely no one will want to do that and no sensible company would develop it.

https://www.mindgems.com/info/file-download-time-calculator/

I don't know what they used to create the backend but I can tell you the frontend appears to be just basic HTML with the table element creating the layout. Which for the record the table element was introduced with HTML 2 back in 1995 only a few months after the first release of Internet Explorer.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/table

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  11. jason066

jason066

Thanks for your detailed Answer :)

12. emmabritnay

emmabritnay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.