Search Unity

Wanna make a manager game (basketball)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by iggy23, Jan 11, 2016.

1. iggy23

iggy23

HEy guys :D

Can you tell me where i need to start, if i wanna make a basketball manager game?

Step by step pls :D

At the beginning soething i wanna try soething with NBA

If i´ll just use UNITY, can i make one?

2. Korno

Korno

Yes, of course you can. And you will if you stick with it!

But as the saying goes - you should try to walk before you run!

Try the learning section first to get a handle of Unity and the some basic scripting tutorials too about C#/

Management games are usually just graphic front ends to database programs. Do yo have any experience with database development?

3. iggy23

iggy23

no, but will use my time to learn :D

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Change your thinking away from wanting a step-by-step guide to creating the game you want to make. There are tons of step-by-step guides to make other games, or generic features like menus and save systems, all of which would be useful in pursuing the game you're envisioning.

When you're starting out, though, it's important to focus on learning and less on crafting your magnum opus. As @Korno said, you have to walk before you can run, but you also have to crawl before you can walk, roll over before you can crawl, and be able to hold your head up before any of it.

Do the tutorials, make a few throwaway games, and learn, learn, learn. After a few months, come back to your game idea and see if you have a clue as to where to start yet. If not, go back and do more learning.

Ryiah and JoeStrout like this.
  5. iggy23

iggy23

ok, thanks for the help :D Looking forward to make something huge ;)

6. Schneider21

Schneider21

It's been said countless times, but I'll say it again... Start small.

When you do get back around to tackling your game, boil the idea down to a thick syrup consisting only of the simplest, core mechanic. Build that. Then try adding a feature here and there, all while playtesting and getting feedback. If your project is difficult to scale, don't be afraid to throw it all in the trash bin and start over. The experience you'll gain from doing so will help your end product immensely.

Edit: Unrelated, but I love when posts = POT.
    1080.PNG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  7. iggy23

iggy23

OK, i just made the tutorial games, and they are working well

What about my next step?

8. Schneider21

Schneider21

Assuming you did all 11 of the projects in 2 days, it's likely not everything sunk in. That's a pretty quick pace to be blowing through that much content. Do you feel like you actually absorbed the knowledge they were trying to impart? If not, consider going through them again (or do the ones you skipped over).

If you did do them all and you fully understand their concepts, then congratulations! You're a genius/prodigy. Good next steps would be:
    1. Scroll down a bit and you'll see categories for things like Scripting, Physics, Graphics, etc. Each of those has additional tutorials covering those subjects in detail. It's worth going through them, but spread it out a bit. Take your time and soak things in.
    2. One thing some people enjoy after finishing little tutorial games is extending them. Add a high score table to Roll-A-Ball, or a new enemy type to the Space Shooter. This gives you a solid foundation to build from while forcing you to think creatively (and learn how to research) on tasks you weren't explicitly told how to handle.
    3. Clone a game! Think back to your childhood and the first game you ever played. See if you can recreate that in some form. Use borrowed art if you have to, or just placeholder blocks and shapes. Maybe put a little spin on it, like "What if Brick Breaker had a competitive mode?" or "Super Mario Bros where the bad guys get powerups, not you"
    After that, you might be ready to start on your game. Use what you've learned to build a base structure, and begin implementing the core feature. If you get stuck, you should at least know enough to know what to search for and how to figure it out.

9. tedthebug

tedthebug

Also study & perfect UI design. These management games live or die by their UI for the first day of play by each person