Search Unity

Walls partially not receiving direct lighting

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Erethan, May 6, 2021.

1. Erethan

Erethan

Hello, all!

I'm building a small scene with assets bult in Probuilder but I'm struggling to get a basic light setup. One of the issues that I could not figure out is why are there shadows on the walls (below) if there is a direct Mixed light pointing towards them.

upload_2021-5-6_17-39-52.png

The model's normals and UVs seem to be fine and Lightmaps are baked indirect with highress.
    All renderers and lights are lighting and reflection static
    The Baked Global Ilumination views seem fine too (e.g., uv overlaps, directionality).

This issue also occurs if there are only few lights in the scene

2. M4dR0b

M4dR0b

Y-Hello there,

It would be useful to know which version of Unity you are currently in and if you are using any rendering pipeline (HDRP, URP, etc) and in which environment (win,Osx).

Than, have you already tried to create a simpler new clean project and see if the issue is still there?

Never used Probuilder so idk if it could create that kind of issue, you can try to see with a new prj without it if the issue is still there. Also, if you can, it would be very much useful to share a small repro of the issue.

3. Erethan

Erethan

I've been using Unity 2020.3.4f1 and HDRP 10.4.0 on Windows 10 but the issue persists on Unity 2020.3.7f1.

The problem persists even in a new clean project with Probuilder stripped. (Probuilder generated meshes are still used) Here is my project on google drive that has this issue.

4. M4dR0b

M4dR0b

ok, I see where the problem is.
    You need to specify that the Normal map textures are in fact normal maps.

here are set to Default (I created a quick area light just to show the difference)

Screenshot 2021-05-11 125826.png

and here to Normal

Screenshot 2021-05-11 125753.png

[Edit] Of course you need to rebuild the lights after.

chap-unity and Erethan like this.
  5. Erethan

Erethan

Hey, thanks! That solved it!!

And welcome to my apartment :)

6. M4dR0b

M4dR0b

Np, been using unity for a while and it still happens that I forget to define Normal maps lol

what are you working on? Architectural prj or something else?

7. Erethan

Erethan

I'm making a VR experience for me to propose to my girlfriend.

We have been together for 10 years (11 in July) and we are finally moving out together. We'll start a 1-2 month renovation and then move in to that apartment.

I'm planing build a realistic interior and a surreal exterior. Indoors, I'll use ArtEngine to create the textures and photogametry on some furniture I already have. On the exterior, I'll use low poly stylized assets to get a more dreamlike feel and have more freedom to work on.

I am not sure what I'll be able to squeeze in this scope and I guess the aesthetics will have to be "humble" as I'm not a designer. Lets see how it goes! :D

chap-unity likes this.