Search Unity

Walking on steep angles

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by dotta, Sep 30, 2020.

1. dotta

dotta

Hey!
    I'd like to work with the current bug where the character can jump up steep angles.
    My idea is to find the current floor angle below the player and, after checking if it's lower than CharacterController.SlopeLimit, we can decide what should happen(Should the player slide down the slope? should we just disable his jump?)
    I'm open to suggestions and I'd love some help

2. moshe770

moshe770

Probably should slide.
    I think the jump should work, but send the player in angle, away from the ground based on the angle.
    so if the player going downhill, the jump still work, and maybe speed up a little.
    and only in very steep angle.

KingAustin and dotta like this.
  3. pgpais

pgpais

I think that the CharacterController is working against us in this case. It seems that when CharacterController.isGrounded is true, gravity isn't applied.

So, as @moshe770 says, if the CharacterController is indeed to be used, we have to work around it (which I think isn't the best of ideas).

lmbarns likes this.
  4. dotta

dotta

I was fixing this issue yesterday and ended up with this exactly problem, the only solution I found was raycasting down and checking if the slope was greater than the slopeLimit and doing some changes to how the vertical movement was being applied to the character controller, if you want to take a look at the code, here's the link:
    https://github.com/Mdotta/open-project-1

5. pgpais

pgpais

I saw your PR. The problem with it is that you changed a lot of stuff that isn't directly related with the actual issue. Adding forward momentum when going down a slope falls outside of the issue.

I created a PR with the same idea as yours, I'd say mine looks cleaner, can't tell if it is the same implementation though

6. AndreFMMecheto

AndreFMMecheto

Adding forward momentum when falling down the slope DOES NOT fall outside the issue, as the bug description in the codecks card describes the ideal behavior as '[...] player to slide down, and to be prevented from jumping if not on a stable surface.' and dotta's PR implements that exact behavior.

I gotta say, if the whole development is going to be like this, as in deal with PR's like we're dealing with this one simple bug, we won't finish this game.

7. pgpais

pgpais

What I said was that adding forward momentum while GOING (not falling) down a slope fell outside of the issue. I misinterpreted the code, though. There are some other issues I have with it, but I don't have time to go over them now.

This was absolutely uncalled for. Don't forget that the point of this open project is for people to learn. Don't bash people for making mistakes.

8. AndreFMMecheto

AndreFMMecheto

I think you got me wrong, I wasn't bashing on you, I'm bashing on management during this early stage, we're being very poorly guided and PR's are being arbitrarily rejected for not abiding by standards that are not even yet in place. All I said was, that if it keeps going like this we'll never get anywhere because the standards aren't clear.

On the flip side, yeah you're right, adding forward momentum while going down a slope isn't in the scope of the issue, but I believe dotta's PR fixes the bug in a good manner, I haven't had time to review yours though. All the best to you, sorry for any misunderstanding

pgpais likes this.
  9. luisquid

luisquid

One thing to keep in mind is that we are building this together, my dudes. Remember, when we read things it is often that we misunderstand the tone the other person said it. Just keep that in mind and let's try and stay positive about it :)

We all just want to make a game together :D

Lorrak, ChemaDmk and AndreFMMecheto like this.
  10. pgpais

pgpais

No worries, I totally misinterpreted you. :D

AndreFMMecheto and luisquid like this.