Search Unity

[Walker Boys]Finished the Unity Script and the Unity API Tutorial's, What Next?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by clxyeah, Dec 8, 2011.

1. clxyeah

clxyeah

Finished Both of them and are comfortable with them, wondering if there is something else i should do before going to through the Game's [Point and Click, Space Shooter etc]?

Thanks In Advance!

2. Nomad72

Nomad72

Just get started on the Labs, you will learn plenty as you go through them.

I'm about 95% of the way through Lab2... and I've just realized there are a few things I really don't understand. I'm struggling to work out 2 things right now:

1) how "inspector" variables are initialized, so that the variable values are actually "reset" each time you play
    2) how the lifecycle of a prefab object works

I spent hours last night trying to track down an issue relating to variable values not resetting... and also trying to work out how to "kill" and reinstantiate a player object from another script (i.e. from the OnTriggerEnter event of the asteroid script file). I've managed to get it working the way I wanted.... but I'm not entirely sure my "solution" represents an understanding of the concepts, rather than a workaround that just happens to accidently work. In other words, my project is working, but I didn't have any "eureka" lightbulb moments while grappling with these 2 issues. I've gone from feeling very confident that I know what I'm doing.... to having a sneaking suspiscion that I'm missing some very subtle points.

Can anyone help me understand why this error message would crop up:

"Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object "scriptPlayer" is inactive"?

3. glom1envisage0

glom1envisage0

I've never seen that error message but if you double-click an error message it opens the script that is throwing the error. The error message also states at what row and column the problem resides. If inspector variables, you mean any variable of any script that is not private and can therefore be set it the editor with the check-marked box by clicking it: if you have a function Start(), you can set a variable to something that will always override what's been done with the editor.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, just start making something. That's the fastest next step. Otherwise you'll get stuck in some sort of moronic tutorial loop and get nothing done... it is time to free your creativity.

I didn't actually bother with anything, I just dived in with the attitude "if I don't know how, I'll find out when I need it" - and I suggest that for you now. The groundwork covered by walkers is really enough for you to just pick up the ball and run with it. Bombard us with questions on the forums :)

Good idea is to do a few prototype games now, little experiments to see if you can make something from scratch. Don't get stressed finishing them just yet - everyone goes through this phase where they make lots of little games.

Then will come a day where you set out to finish something.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012