Search Unity

Walk about extras? Not sure if they have a proper name

Discussion in 'World Building' started by agileArt, Sep 14, 2021.

1. agileArt

agileArt

I'd like to populate a scene I'm creating w/characters that just walk about, like passersby.
    Anything like that in the unity store? My search didn't quite bring them up.
    Thank you

*Never mind found answer but if you have any recommendations drop a line please.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  2. halley

halley

Typically, the artistic details for characters is produced separately from the behavior of those characters. Many animation packs exist for basic walking functions, and they can be applied to almost any humanoid character, so why make multiples? Mix and match. Similarly, nobody drawing generic passerby characters will want to know how to program them to walk from one chair to another room in every possible game. They're separate ideas which you'll have to integrate.

One common word for "generic passersby characters" in gamedev is NPC (non-player characters). Character models suitable for NPCs may have a lot less detail than a PC (player character). This benefits memory and performance as you add many more NPCs to a scene.

3. agileArt

agileArt

Thank you, I'll look that up.

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yes..EmeraldAI. halley is correct in terminology. EmeraldAI is in all my projects. It has a feature that allows you to produce a random/by radius, or by "way point" movement. One of the best out there, or you could code your own custom AI...