Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Wait for cacheserver

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by id0, Mar 31, 2021.

1. id0

id0

I'm now have endless "waiting for cacheserver" loading when open my project. But I don't even use it, IT'S DISABLED! What a hell is this?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    nathjh, michi_sperber and Thygrrr like this.
  2. WavyRancheros

WavyRancheros

I also have this problem. Unity 2021.1.5f1 What's going on?

3. BrandyHarrington

BrandyHarrington

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Could you please submit a bug report for this issue and share the Issue ID in this thread?

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Same here, i have never seen a more buggy Unity version than Unity 2021.1.5f1 and Unity 2021.1.6f1 and the casherver issue is also in latest Beta.

I have shader errors in HDRP, crazy script errors in URP (related to protection levels in some variables that was not a problem before !!!), errors getting in the project.

Is something impossible at this point and all errors seem strange, nothing is clear why happen.

Good news is that at least for now 2021.2.0a13 does not have any of those issues !!!

I would like to really beg Unity, on my knees, not to change anything in this version, any new iteration brings disaster for my work and my time

EDIT: I tried and also get errors in latest 2021.2.0a16 and 17, which i did not get in 0a13 !!!
    Please help !!!!!

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  6. Servail

Servail

Got this trying to open my project copy on ext3 partition mounted via Ext2Fsd from Windows 7 x64. Copied back to NTFS - it works again! Editor.log is full of repeating:
    A meta data file (.meta) exists but its folder 'Assets/Bunch/Of/Folder/Names/In/My/Project' can't be found, and has been created. Empty directories cannot be stored in version control, so it's assumed that the meta data file is for an empty directory in version control. When moving or deleting folders outside of Unity, please ensure that the corresponding .meta file is moved or deleted along with it.
    just after "Application.AssetDatabase Initial Script Refresh Start" line, but these folders are in place. Same with enabled/disabled cache server. Linux opens both ext3 and NTFS projects just fine. Test empty project doesn't have this issue.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  7. Rallix

Rallix

I have this now when updating the project from Alpha 16 to Alpha 17; still trying to find a way around it. I'm loading the project from nowhere special, just a plain NTFS partition in Windows.
    Open1.png
    The Editor.log doesn't seem too interesting; it ends just after "Application.AssetDatabase Initial Script Refresh Start".

Edit:
    Turns out I was probably just impatient, but it was stuck on the "Waiting for Cacheserver" for way over an hour. Since then, the project opens normally.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi everybody,

We were able to reproduce a similar issue that causes incorrect information to be displayed during the startup progress bar. We have an internal fix for it in review.

9. ecg_tbunker

ecg_tbunker

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2021
    LeonhardP likes this.
  10. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The fix will be available in the next release of 2021.2.

11. GalleryWhitte

GalleryWhitte

My Nerves...

Rukas90 likes this.
  12. Mindtoast451

Mindtoast451

Ugh... I don't use the cache server. Why must Unity WAIT and WAIT and WAIT for it?

13. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

If you're still experiencing these issues with recent releases of 2021.2.0b, please submit bug reports for them so your individual cases can be investigated. The fix to the display issue that I mentioned earlier landed in b1.

14. GalleryWhitte

GalleryWhitte

I switched to "Offical Release" Unity 2021.1.16f1.
    -> 'Waiting for CacheServer" - Program does not start

OK, I will now try to install 2021.2.0b..
    But he, my Harddrive is Full (full with all the different UnityInstallations)
    and
    I am knocking on wood, that all my assets (I paid for) will work with this Version.
    I am sry... Gamedev is FUN. We are all HAPPY.
    ~ Yesterday I tried for hours to install a simple asset via this package-manager...
    No Server-connection. It s FUN.

15. GalleryWhitte

GalleryWhitte

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

17. mabulous

mabulous

just in case this might help someone: We had the same issue and in our case it was a symbolic link (inside Assets) pointing to a folder (outside of Assets) that didn't exist anymore due to git not supporting empty folders.

18. Anananas42

Anananas42

I got random BSOD after entering play mode and every time I try to start now, I get stuck at 'waiting for cache server', RAM explodes, all my other apps get shut down and Unity crashes. Tried reinstalling Unity, Unity Hub, tried earlier versions, tried rolling the project back on git, nothing helps. Also tried deleting Temp folders in the project and all sections of appdata etc. Don't know what I'm missing.

Will definitely look into the symbolic link mentioned by @mabulous thanks

* Everything is completely fine if I create a new project

SOLUTION: I simply cloned the whole project, opened it in Unity, fetched newest version and everything is back on track babyyyy!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021