Search Unity

[W.I.P] 2.5D Fighting Game Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Sep 24, 2013.

?

Witch version would you be most interested in?

1. Basic

22 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Advanced

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Pro

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Pro (Source)

60 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. Mistermind

Mistermind

That is the catch though. You cant :/
    Only those who purchase from the asset store can rate. If the asset store doesn't approve by tomorrow night, I'll release it on sellfy for you guys

2. jaelove

jaelove

You forgot to add announcer to the to so list

3. Mistermind

Mistermind

Omg they just released it! haha It was too fast lol
    I'm actually going over some of the notes they left me so I can fix some bits here and there, but yeah guys, its out!
    And now for the surprise I was holding:
    The release comes with a special holiday discounts price: $175 (25 dollars off!)!!!!

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/13754

4. jaelove

jaelove

Purchased:D

5. Mistermind

Mistermind

I more than welcome any feedback, question or suggestion you might have at this stage in development guys.
    I also welcome anyone that would like to make a better combo video than mine! haha

6. Master Thespian

Master Thespian

I'm really looking forward to seeing the 3D gameplay additions. This engine is a godsend so I'm all in once the 3D stuff hits.

7. Blackghost

Blackghost

Quick release!

8. Mistermind

Mistermind

Also guys, for those who would rather wait for features to come, consider purchasing now for not only its constant free updates, but to help the on-going development progress!
    I love working on this engine and nothing would make me happier then constantly improving upon it. If the engine doesn't suits your needs -yet- considering purchasing it just as a "kickstarter" to something much much bigger for all of us and ultimately you.

Also I would love any feedback and comments you guys can give to UFE in the asset store!
    I'll try to be as supportive as I can to help all of you during this initial process =)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  9. jaelove

jaelove

Ok I have everything up and running so far so good but it seems the analog joystick is assigned to movement by default how do I change the controls to use the D-pad?

10. Mistermind

Mistermind

Humm That should probably be one of those annoying problems with the Input Manager from Unity.
    Go to Edit -> Project Settings -> Input
    There you will see something like this (given you followed the necessary Input Manager file replacement steps):

$InputManager.jpg

The GUIScript is configured to swap UFE input configuration between P1KeyboardVertical/P1KeyboardHorizontal and P1JoystickVertical/P1JoystickHorizontal.

Select P1JoystickVertical/P1JoystickHorizontal (one at the time)
    You will see that its configured like this:

$Input_Manager_Joystick.jpg

Using my controller (a special SF4 6 front button D-Pad) that was the configuration I had to adjust.

Type: Joystick Axis
    Axis: X axis
    Joy Num: Joystick 1

Try changing these values to see which one can tune with your desired joystick configuration.

11. jaelove

jaelove

Everything was done accordingly to instruction but still no luck with the controls I am using a xbox controller. I also have another issue when I load the training room scene I don't see anything in the scene or game views the assets aren't even showing up in the Hierarchy panel but when I press the play button everything runs. I am using Unity 4.3 Free version btw

12. Mistermind

Mistermind

That is suppose to happen =)
    UFE loads assets during run time only. It was made that way so you could have more control with game objects and prefabs and not worry about multiple scenes. UFE runs in a single scene from beginning to end. All the GUI is controlled with game objects.

If you need to edit something, drag the game object to the hierarchy, edit as you please, save it and delete it.

As for the controller, that is as far as we can control Inputs on Unity.
    I dug as much as I could to find alternative solutions to Unity's default Input system but couldn't find any. I too remember it was a pain to set those keys correctly hehe. Don't worry about the coding. UFE just detects input presses by Unity itself. If you need to, you can also adjust UFE's input references to Unity's Input Manager under Global -> Input.
    Try adjusting other variables inside the Joystick configuration under Input Manager, see if they change anything.

For the record, UFE uses Input.GetAxisRaw to detect key presses. It does not detect smooth input. It was made this way so D-Pad users wouldn't have a disadvantage.

13. jaelove

jaelove

Interesting ok I see how you did it so far I am enjoying everything I hope i can find a solution for the controls

14. jaelove

jaelove

Ok so I got the D-pad working the assignment is the 7th axis and 6th axis invert control must also be removed lol

15. Mistermind

Mistermind

haha yeah I remember now. Same with me when I was trying to adjust the gamepad. And for some random reason, one day it was working on the default axis =P
    Lets just say its another IT tale of horror and that it was aliens.

16. wickedeman

wickedeman

Ahhh snaps Christmas is finally here!!! I've been following this project since day one and the release date has finally arrive, just in time for xmas break. I'll have a full week to tinker and play around with this Engine.

From all the updates here on the forum and conversations w/ MMind, Two thumbs up this guy really knows his stuff this engine is very promising. Thanks for all the hard work!!!

Happy brawling everyone.

17. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank YOU for those kind words! And remember guys, it ain't over yet! The more support I get the harder I'll work :)

18. Master Thespian

Master Thespian

Know what? You're right. Give me until 1/1/14 and I'm in.

19. Mistermind

Mistermind

I truly appreciate it thank you =)

20. Mistermind

Mistermind

21. liero116

liero116

Ok I just grabbed it and let me say that so far, I'm amazed at how much is actually in this package. It's beyond impressive.

A few of things that I can see causing some issues for some users (including myself):

I'm not exactly sure what the term is for this but it's missing some basic [input leniency?]. Example:

I'm crouching and hitting crouching medium punch, then I'm trying to cancel this hit into a fireball (QCF punch). This doesn't actually work. The only way to get the cancel to trigger is to hit crouching punch, let go of down, and then input the special. Since most fighting games work in the latter fashion, this is going to feel a bit off for me and a lot of other people.

On a similar note, the inputs do not require a diagonal for QCF or other motions it seems. It's sure nice to have the option to not need a diagonal, but for "footsie" heavy games like Street Fighter, this is going to result in a lot of accidental QCF motions when the player is trying to inch forward by alternating between crouch guarding and moving forward and attacking.

In the attack options, it would be nice to be able to adjust hitboxes as well as hurtboxes since for some moves, I like to adjust hurtboxes to determine properties.

Finally, it seems like there isn't any "corner push back". You can test this for yourself by putting the opponent in the corner and just repeatedly hitting jab. No one moves at all so anything that links becomes an infinite in the corner. Ideally, under the hit force options you could have another set of forces especially set for attacking someone in the corner since I like to sometimes make these greater or lesser than the normal move's properties.

Beyond these things, I'm definitely pleased with the purchase and I'll be updating you more with any cool stuff I'd like to see.

EDIT:

Also, since you've got ways to classify "Attack Types" it would be massively amazing if under "Chain Moves" you could set a move to cancel to all specials, ex moves, and/or supers. Huge time saver for me.

EDIT EDIT:

This may be an invincibility thing, but you can try this as well:

Knock the opponent down and you can walk right over them. Pretty much all fighters allow you to "push" your opponent as they're on the ground. Basically this is problematic as you can knock someone down, stand on top of them, mash jab and they'll have no idea which way to block.

One more thing about force too:

This definitely needs separate force for air-based targets. Example, on the ground, I want crouching medium punch to knockback like this: X=15, Y=0. If the opponent jumps in and i hit them out of the air, I would want the same hit to knockback like this: X=8, Y=5. This would allow for easier juggles in a game that relies on something like that for combos.

22. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you =)

I know exactly what you mean and I think I know what the problem is. Try setting your fireball's possible states to both standing and crouching. When the move is picked up by the engine it will check if you are actually allowed to perform that move in the giving state.

Try the same approach from the first option. I believe it might solve those problems. In a side note, you are right, the engine doesn't detect the "tiger knee" motion. That is because in Unity to detect a diagonal is the same as detecting that both axis are being pressed.There might be a solution to this and I'll add it to the upcoming features.

Humm I see what you mean. Very interesting idea. Yeah currently you can only set hitboxes to be invisible, but not to change sizes. Maybe I can change that option a bit to instead of simply vanishing the hitbox, allowing you to set its size.

Humm that is odd. I'm 100% positive the corner pushback was working. Did you change any of the options inside the stage settings? I'll check it again here to let you know if there is anything wrong on my end too.

Awesome. And don't forget to share any work you did with the engine you'd like to promote! I'm trill to see what people can come up with!

EDIT:
    Interesting. Will have it on the upcoming features as well.

23. liero116

liero116

Just tried that with the same result. Just in case, I even tried swapping the two and still; no luck on that one.

Fantastic

Ok so here's the thing. I didn't change anything and it didn't quite work, but once I set the camera to not zoom at all, it worked flawlessly. In other words with camera zoom min/max set to 50/50, it works; when it's at 20/50 it doesn't. At least not for me. Frankly, it doesn't bother me since I'm not going to have the camera zoom, but this does seem like the corner push is affected by how close the camera is (or something like that).

Oh absolutely! For the time being, I'm just editing your demo character to learn the ins and outs of what I can do without any modification on my end. There's a lot of stuff that you saved me the effort of doing on my own.

Super nice. Glad to see you're open to weird requests such as this.

Oh and just in case you missed my second update from my original post, here it is again:

24. marcipw

marcipw

I can not believe it is here already! Well done.

Can we still buy from sellfy.com?

Thanks.

25. kilik128

kilik128

working in mecka ! nice and touch for android ?

26. johnny12345

johnny12345

I'll be buying this for sure soon as I get home tonight looks great and to have an active developer like you makes it more worth while.

27. Mistermind

Mistermind

Oh yeah, I already have that in the upcoming features =) I kept pushing that to prioritize other things in order to be able to release UFE in time and that ended up being a post release feature. Don't worry, its pretty high up in the priority list.

Absolutely. Just finishing re-uploading the latest version (just a few different data arrangement) and I'll get you that link.

No support for touch features -just yet-. Its on future plans to have that though =)

Thank you =) I'll be here if you need anything!

28. Mistermind

Mistermind

Humm. I'll test it myself here and let you know exactly what might be happening.

Ah I see now what the problem is. Yeah in the engine the characters are either limited to the camera boundaries or the stage. The zoom, combined with a low field of view, can end up presenting a "force field" that is slightly higher then the stage boundaries, thus ignoring the wall push back. I remember having that problem before too. Nice find! I'll try coming up with some sort of quick fix to the code to help that out.

So different forces applied depending on the opponent's current state? I actually like that idea =) WIll add it on my todo list.

29. Mistermind

Mistermind

There you go sir!

https://sellfy.com/p/AF7d/

Cheers!

30. Mistermind

Mistermind

Quick note: The package has been removed from Unity Asset Store because of a small issue with providing samples from another package (a few special hit effects from FlyingTeapot, properly promoted in the package). I'll be replacing it with some other effects here, but it will take a couple hours. In the meantime, use the sellfy link!

31. johnny12345

johnny12345

just bought cant wait to test

32. Mistermind

Mistermind

I'll be here if you need me =)

33. liero116

liero116

Might also want to include a force option for downed opponents too, though in MUGEN I just defaulted it to the same as the air value with good results.

Also having a set of flags per move that you could check off to affect different states would be useful too. For example, if I wanted a low attack to never hit downed opponents, or a grab to never hit someone crouching I could simply check/uncheck a box that would limit its use. Granted, you can technically do this with very careful hurt box manipulation, it technically becomes impossible to manage if your characters aren't all the same height.

34. Mistermind

Mistermind

You mean for bounce?

humm very very interesting. I like that. Adding to the list!

35. Mistermind

Mistermind

36. liero116

liero116

Actually that might be nice too, but I more the force applied to the target should you hit them when downed.

37. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

Do the controls work with mobile devices?

38. Mistermind

Mistermind

Not yet, but I already have plans on having a mobile version early next year.

39. jaelove

jaelove

I think you forgot A.I on the to do list :)

40. Mistermind

Mistermind

Oops. Fixed it.

41. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

Nice work so far......pretty impressive..

42. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

Oh yeah..one more thing...if I wanted to add mobile controls privately is that possible?? Like could I access the source codes directly??

43. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yes =) That's why its an open source.
    Later there will be cheaper versions of UFE and in those versions that won't be possible, but the available version right now is full open source, meaning you can literally change anything. Everything I did is in there, commented and ready to be edited =)

44. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

Even better :)

45. jaelove

jaelove

Can you add a preview option for the add effect to move parameter there is no way to tell the position of the prefab relative to the model

46. spartan

spartan

If I buy the full version on Selly.com, Do I will receive every update of the source code?

47. Mistermind

Mistermind

Definitely an interesting addition. Will have it in my todo list. An alternative right now would be to pause the game and move the particle effect over the hierarchy view. Then pull the particle inside Player1 or Player2 and arrange it as you like using the scene view. Once you are satisfied with the position, take notes of the position and rotation you decided on and paste that down in the move editor's particle position. Sorry it has to be that messy but we will get there =)

Yes sir you do. I'm not sure how Sellfy works when dealing with updates, but if anything there are plenty of other solutions. I heard some developers use Google Drive to update their packages. That might be an interesting idea to look upon later. One way or the other I'll make sure everyone gets the updates.

48. marcipw

marcipw

Thank you sir!
    I just bought it.

49. spartan

spartan

Why it was removed from asset store?

50. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you =) if you have any questions let me know.

They didn't really explain much. Just said the package had some assets that were from another vendors in the asset store. Admittedly, the package was using 5 sample effects out of a 25 effects pack provided by FlyingTeapot, but they were authorized and given the proper credits inside the package. (They were stored in a "Sample" folder and had a text file explaining what was being used with a link to the original product).

This is the e-mail I got from Unity:
    Not only they didn't explain what exactly was wrong, they never answered any of my e-mails regarding the subject. I'm just assuming it had to do with FlyingTeapot assets as I explicit said it was his in the package. In other words me trying to be "nice" is what caused the package to be disabled.
    As soon as I got the e-mail I changed the files used to generic samples and submitted it, but I received no further contact from Unity ever since.

The worst part really was approving a package then disabling it. That was highly unprofessional and it costed me dearly as I was already promoting the link to the asset store in several media groups.