Search Unity

[W.I.P] 2.5D Fighting Game Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Sep 24, 2013.

?

Witch version would you be most interested in?

1. Basic

22 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Advanced

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Pro

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Pro (Source)

60 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. jaelove

jaelove

Very Nice and easy to comprehend

2. jaelove

jaelove

Can we use the D-pad for vertical and horizontal movement commands? This is very important for precision in a fighting game.

3. Blackghost

Blackghost

Nice documentation! Question, when you say prefabs in each of the subcategories, can these be made using assets from the unity store? For instance, using Ngui to create your own gui for character selection screen and level selection screen?

4. Mistermind

Mistermind

Absolutely. Check out the example in this page.

I believe it is possible due to the GUI scripts intentional "loose" connection to the engine. They all work through event receiving and data access. None of the scripts or prefabs are linked to the engine in anyway, meaning you won't have to go very deep into the engine to implement whatever addon you have.

Thats why the GUI scripts will be open source for all versions.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  5. Blackghost

Blackghost

Excellent. Sounds great. Hopefully implementing other packages wont be a painstake.:)

6. tmntemps

tmntemps

Documentation has been very handy so far and has given me some more questions :)

http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php?id=global:knockdown

If I toggle knocked out hitboxes on, that would allow for OTG attacks to make contact with someone laying on the ground correct?

Is there a way to differentiate between knockdowns - for instance in Marvel there is hard and soft knockdown. Soft knockdown means a character cannot air tech and will fall all the way to the ground, then they will immediately tech roll forwards/back/neutral. You will not have a chance to hit them while they are down. Hard knockdown they fall to the ground and have to remain in place for awhile, and they are vulnerable to OTGs during that time

so can you set this property on a move by move basis?

http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php?id=global:combo

Will you give a more in depth description of how hit stun deterioration will work in this engine? Depending on the game, the implentation varies. In Marvel, a timer starts once you land the first hit of your combo and then hitstun continuously deteriorates no matter how many times you hit your opponent. As a result, the faster and tighter your combo the more hits you can land. In Guilty Gear I believe it works based on how many hits are in your combo, so the "dead space" between your moves does not matter

Damage scaling, is it possible to set the minimum damage as a percentage instead of as a fixed value?

Air juggle deterioration, is this a juggle points system like SF4 or is it a gravity system like Guilty Gear where the longer your combo is, the faster your opponent falls to the ground? What happens when someone recovers in mid-air? Are you forced into one tech animation (3S and MvC2) or do you get to choose from three different techs (MvC and GG).

hahah no matter what I think I will need the source version. looking forward to it, hope you get it out before my Christmas break from work so I can just mess with it the whole time :D

7. Mistermind

Mistermind

Those are all very interesting points you are bringing. Some of these I wasn't even aware of =)

OTG should be possible currently, but now that I think about it, it could really use some more options. UFE currently does offer soft and hard knockdown options, but in this initial build they do not differ from one another. Not to worry, as its already planned for post release. I'll also take into consideration everything you said when implementing those extra options mentioned.

Since my initial idea was in fact to make the engine feel more like Marvel vs Capcom in early builds, a lot of initial ideas (and videos) came from trying to emulate -some of- MvC gameplay.
    Based on your examples, I'd say currently the hitstun works like Guilty Gear. And thanks to your inputs I can see several post releases with the other options implemented for this feature.

I'll add that to my post release todo list =)

Again I think the point goes to Guilty Gear here. Never realized the game engine had so many things in common with that game.
    Very interested about that air juggle system from SF4 though. I might implement that in the future as well.

The mid-air recovery works similar to Marvel. Once out of hit stun the character returns to normal air movement like they were in mid-jump.

I definitely suggest you get the source, even with other versions out. You have a lot of knowledge over this and great ideas. You probably can speed things up by messing with the code yourself instead of waiting for updates =)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  8. liero116

liero116

Dumb question:

Is there a "none" option for hit stun deterioration like there is for air juggle deterioration? I've got my own IPS that wouldn't need this feature.

9. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yes, all options available can be turned off.

10. Mistermind

Mistermind

11. jaelove

jaelove

Been studying the documentation all night looking pretty good and intuitive I had a small request for the block and parry sound effects if we could make them exclusive to the characters instead of having limit of 2 sounds to be shared between all of the characters

12. Mistermind

Mistermind

You can also add sound fx to the animation itself in the character editor -> Move set. This sound is used just for the "hit impact", but good eye. I didn't think of explaining that.

13. jaelove

jaelove

I remembered seeing that we can edit the specific sounds on specific moves but I didn't know which took precedent the global or the specific character settings

14. Mistermind

Mistermind

They both play in multichannels. For special moves you can set the exact frame you want a sound to be played, but for basic moves the sounds will always start on frame one. I'll add that as an option to basic moves in my todo list.

15. jaelove

jaelove

ok that is cool that we can have a multiple sounds play on separate channels for the same move

16. jaelove

jaelove

Is there a get hit low standing animation parameter?

17. Mistermind

Mistermind

Not yet. Will add it as soon as I have the chance.

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hello MMind,

I haven't read the entire thread, and I am also making a fighting game as well... and this tool looks extremely useful. I have some questions as well... You can see my game (I am still working on the art for it, since I am not a programmer) in the signature.

1) Will it be possible to create elements such as using the Background to cause damage i.e.. Injustice Gods Among Us...? In my game, I have a button designated for knocking the opponent into the element causing damage, and then they return to the fighting plane.

2) How can I design "special abilities" that are character specific. Example, I have a character in my game that has an ability called "Iron Wall", which any move in the game registers at half damage. But if he takes too much damage, the fields powering the move damages him. And also there is no hit stun either. Or this scenario, I have a character that turns into a shadow, disabling hitboxes completely for a limited time, but she can still hurt the opponent before returning to normal state... is this also possible?

3) I also have a meter in my game that controls how moves are performed, which each move drains that meter... once the meter is exhausted, you cannot perform special moves until I regenerates. Is it possible to set up this up, like in Blaze Blue, or Eternal Champions.

4) On the animation front, I have certain moves that can only be perform with a limb, such as a blaster on the left hand. Now in 2.5D fighters of old, because they were sprite based they had to mirror it... will I have this problem with your system? I am trying to make it a blend of tekken/virtua fighter. I have a character who has a cestus on his right hand, and a lot of projectiles come out of that hand... will I be able to keep the hand on the right side when he is player two?

5) As a critique, some of the animation and blending is too choppy, might be the video. But can we use Mecanim as an option... I plan on using this for smoother animation.

6) Last question is, for fatalites... could I use your system to trigger a kill such as a neon sign in the background roasting the opponent? Such as making this happen if the final strike renders the health to zero and it triggers a cutscene. Or will I be able to switch out a model with the innards using a prefab.

Keep this up man... I am still looking forward to see what your system does :).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I wish I could help you out here... I have characters that are very high detailed... (nearly 100k triangles) and plus my system is geared more toward virtua fighter/tekken/MK9... here is a screen shot just for fun $light-em-up.jpg

Attached Files:

20. Mistermind

Mistermind

Hey there =) I'd say a lot of your questions can probably be answered by browsing around the topic or through the documentation. I wish I could have a detailed answer for everyone, but I'm running on an extremely tied schedule to release this on time. At this moment every minute is very precious =D

Already on my post-release todo list. But no clear date on when I'll start working on it, as there might be other more important tasks after the open source release.

Using UFE events and data access, yes those might be possible. To be sure however, I think some of your requests might need the open source version as you can freely manipulate the entire code if needed.

Also possible. You can set a gauge requirement and usage for every move in your game.

Mirroring is handled automatically in the engine. Currently the mirroring method used isn't the best, but I will revisit this feature soon.

Mecanim was dis-considered in early project because its limitations. I wrote an article about it:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/206301-Mecanim-Review-(Unity-4-2)
    Unity made some adjustments to Mecanim on 4.3, but its still very limited. I'll revisit this feature soon enough though.

The animations might look a little choppy because of the Animation flow method used: http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php?id=global:advanced
    I also had to record in 30 fps not 60, so that could also be part of the reason.

At the moment there isn't any easy way to do it using the tools provided, but you can certainly find ways around using the open source and one of the several events and classes UFE has.

21. Mistermind

Mistermind

That looks great! If you have the animations I'd love to use them in my videos. PM me with details.

22. jaelove

jaelove

Can you possibly add a frame rate counter that we can see when we run the game?

23. Mistermind

Mistermind

I'll see if I have the time. But I believe you can use Unity's "Stats" button to show that. UFE tries to fix the frame rate at your desired frame rate every frame so it can look as smooth as possible.

24. Mistermind

Mistermind

25. jaelove

jaelove

Been following every second of the updates great work and some nice features I see you have in the works

26. marcipw

marcipw

Excellent! Very impressive.

I can not wait for the release.

27. Mistermind

Mistermind

New option added for move inputs' button execution (http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/move:input):
    On Button Release: Enable this if you want the move to be executed after you release the button instead of after pressing it. Useful for creating moves like Focus attack or Zero's Hyper Zero Blaster (Marvel vs Capcom 3)

In an example here, lets create something like Focus Attack.
    You will need 2 moves:
    Focus On Hold
    Focus On Release

Focus On Hold:
    A move that has the charging part of the animation from the focus attack.
    - Button Executions: Medium Punch and Medium Kick.
    - On Button Release toggled off.
    - In Chain Moves you will you have your frame link from first to last frame and with 2 possible moves: Dash and Focus On Release

Focus On Release:
    A move that has the release part of the animation from the focus attack.
    - Required Move: Focus On Hold
    - Button Executions: Medium Punch and Medium Kick (optional: have 2 different focus on release moves, each releasing one of the inputs)
    - On Button Release toggled on

Done =)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  28. jaelove

jaelove

YES!!!!

29. Mistermind

Mistermind

Here is how you could code a glow effect while moving and holding a blaster charge:
    Code (csharp):
    1. void OnMove(MoveInfo move, CharacterInfo player){
    2.     // Creates a glow effect while holding the charge for a blaster
    3.     if (move.moveName == "Charging Blaster"){
    4.         _specialGlow = (GameObject)Instantiate(specialGlow);
    5.         _specialGlow.transform = player.characterPrefab.transform;
    6.     }else if (move.moveName == "Release Blaster"){
    7.         Destroy(_specialGlow);
    8.     }
    9. }
    Also added as an example at http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/move:input

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  30. jaelove

jaelove

Very nice I am not a coder or scripter but that's cool that you are making features like this accessible

31. xXR4V3NXx

xXR4V3NXx

Will your engine only consist of MVC style fighting or can a coder program characters their way? The reason I'm interested in your UFE concept is to learn more in depth techniques to create a fighter using unity 3d, Then eventually start my own 2.5d game with unity.
    Since I know how to work with Mugen and XMugen homebrew stuff your UFE is really exciting news and something I will purchase!

Here is a example video on one of my W.I.P projects for our homebrew community.

32. chrissanders

chrissanders

Can't wait to get my hands on this. Let the development begin.

33. Mistermind

Mistermind

Absolutely!
    Take a look at the documentation and some key points in this thread to be more a part of the development so far =)
    The engine is extremely vast and it should cover the most common elements known in 2d and 2.5D fighting games.

34. xXR4V3NXx

xXR4V3NXx

Very Awesome! Will do! And thank you for all your hard work! It's definitely appreciated! I will be submitting links for your UFE once I get my Unity 3D projects off the ground using your UFE Frame work tool kit. So hope you don't mind me adding your info to my youtube videos!

35. Mistermind

Mistermind

I will love that =)
    Not only it will be highly appreciate it, I insist most of us contribute back and forward in that sense.

As you guys probably noticed, even though this engine is extremely robust, not even I was able to put a really good example of the engine on a video yet. I mean, I already have the animations and the tools, but fine tuning moves, links and combos is something that takes time.
    To quote willpower in one of our private conversations:
    "Fine tuning using tools like these is as time consuming and important as designing a character"

So if anything, I'd love to not only be promoted by you guys, but promote you guys work as well. The better your work, the better examples I'll have when promoting UFE and more viewers you'll have for your game. Testimonials, trailers, addons and assets are all very very welcome and I'll be pleased to incorporate your name on those.

36. jaelove

jaelove

Is it to early to get a priority list of the features to be implemented post release things like A.I?

37. chrissanders

chrissanders

One question for you how hard is it to mod the UFE. such as adding our own features to make each game unique.

Also did you check the emails I sent.

38. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yeah :/
    I'm dedicating these last few days before release into smoothing out and fixing little bits of code. On Sunday I'll package it up and send it to the asset store.
    After that we will begin a 2-3 weeks QA, bug fixing and minor implementation updates while I also work on the other versions of UFE. During that time I'll try having some polls on to determine the priorities of major and minor updates. Don't worry though, as in the meantime you will probably already have a lot in your hand tuning your game engine =)

Shouldn't be very hard. The GUI scripts are fully commented and they work completely independent from the Engine. There you will find explanations and several examples on how to use UFE data as well as catch in-game events.
    There are no pre-defined compatibility to other assets if that is what you are asking. I'm sure you can still use them, but I recommend reading through UFE's documentation and open source to find your own solutions. I made all external data access as easy as I could for this purpose.

I got your e-mail thank you. At this point in development however I don't think I'll have time to change the GUI. I like it though. You should definitely use it in your game!

In other news, here are 2 interesting updates to the engine:
    http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/global:advanced

Stored Execution Delay (seconds): Sometimes, to create a smooth control experience, fighting games offer a way to delay a move execution for a split of a second while another move is being executed. This is extremely useful for easing the combo timing and linkers. The higher the value, the earlier you can queue up a move while another is being played. This variable only refers to Chain Moves.

Plinking Delay (seconds): The delay between button press to allow multiple input responses. Plinking in UFE works by prioritizing multiple button execution over single button execution.

39. Mistermind

Mistermind

I'm gonna go even a bit further here on future development processes:
    If you want a specific feature or have a suggestion and enough people agree with you, given you have the animations for it, give me access to the animations (and allow me to promote that feature on videos with those provided content) and I'll implement it completely free of charge. The content is still yours and I'll not share it in any other form.

40. jaelove

jaelove

Very cool we'll be in touch lol :)

41. xXR4V3NXx

xXR4V3NXx

I'm super excited about the UFE tool kit! Looking forward into playing a supportive role with development collaboration in showcasing what UFE can do! Keep up the awesome work man!

42. Mistermind

Mistermind

Package submitted to the Asset Store!
    They say it might take 3 business days or more, so I think we will be expecting delays guys

43. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

was quickly checking your documentation. noticed that you might be missing an important feature : draw!! what happens if both characters are KO at the final round? what happens if this happens in the last decisive round?

44. Mistermind

Mistermind

hehe good reminder. I'll have it in my todo list. Although in my tests I never got to a point where both players die at the same time. In the meantime let me know if you guys can trigger that!

45. liero116

liero116

I've been working on a project for ~5 years and am going to be porting it over using your system. I fully plan to show all the stuff I'm doing as well as promote your framework as much as possible. Gotta say, I'm pretty excited to get started.

46. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

good to know it's on your to do list. I must say I played a lot street fighter 4 and manage to have that happening only once among hundreds of fights ... But it's something that definitely have to be there, or you'll have a big bug if this is happening and you didn't take care of it before.

47. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you =)
    I'm very excited to see what you guys can come up with!
    Even with the current assets that come with the package, I'm pretty sure someone can do a better job than me!

48. Mistermind

Mistermind

I already have the package available on sellfy.com guys (not available until I give the go), but I rather wait a bit to see if we are any lucky to get UFE approved on the asset store in the next couple of days. I will very much appreciate the feedback you guys can give over there and for me that is worth the 30% fee =)

49. jaelove

jaelove

I am ready to purchase from sellfy right this instant :D hopefully Unity doesn't take too long

50. Blackghost

Blackghost

I think it would be greatly appreciated to have the availability of purchase on sellfy.com. Some of the users may want a head start. I'm sure whoever purchases it from sellfy.com will still rate on the unity store.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013