Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[W.I.P] 2.5D Fighting Game Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Sep 24, 2013.

?

Witch version would you be most interested in?

1. Basic

22 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Advanced

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Pro

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Pro (Source)

60 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. ninjasdf

ninjasdf

This is pretty amazing. Between the questions answered, features added upon request, and all the videos/screenshots... well, let's just say you have guaranteed yourself another sale. I do have a few questions though.

I know how development time can flex a lot, but when are you going to be officially releasing everything?

Also, you mentioned earlier in the thread that this system was created with the goal of being able to be a 3d fighter as well. What are your plans for implementing this? Also, once implemented will the system allow one to switch, or would it be separate? And if it does come after the first release (as mentioned earlier), would those that purchased this on the first release be able to obtain it for free or would an upgrade price be in order?

Thanks a lot. Really looking forward to this.

2. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you =)

Its really hard to say, but I'm already on the final steps. The development suffered a slight delay these past few days due to some issues I had with backup but its all good now.
    Today I'm working in the rounds system, intro and outro (like how in SF4 characters come in with a cinematic camera as well as when the battle ends). If I manage to finish that today I'll dedicate the rest of the week to write the documentation. As soon as I finish that part I can start working on packaging and finally release a beta open source version. From that point on I'll work on the tutorials and as I debug and take notes of major requests, I'll work on the other versions of the product. But yeah, last time I said "a couple of weeks" that didn't turned out to be very precise lol

The 3D arena mode (Tekken, DOA and Virtual Fighter alike) will be a post release. Depending on the complexity I might have to make a secondary package, but I'm not sure yet.

That is a good question. If it becomes a separate package I'll make sure I give a special discount to those who already have the 2.5D version.

3. dezco

dezco

Sorry if this seems like an obvious question (I'm guessing it is because I read through the entire thread and I don't see anyone asking unless I missed it) but will we be able to add our own models for use with the system? Or are we limited to the models that come with the package? If you can use your own models which models are supported? Obj, 3ds Max, Daz3d, Poser?

Also, is there anything we need to do (sign up to a mailing list of some sort) to be notified when this will be available?

Lastly, how do you intend on selling this package? Through the Unity Asset Store?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  4. Dean Avanti

Dean Avanti

dive kick move?
    Do a jump then press another button, and the player will move downward at 45 degrees which makes a 'diving kick'. (option to set angle and velocity of this with different characters)

time and events?
    Run a timer, if timer runs out players closest to a marker wins the round. (a nice extra to win the round would be if I could make the loser get shot or blown up.)

meters?
    meters fill or diminish by doing an action, meters allow you to do special moves or extra stats when full, these upgrades can be diminished with use or option to lose it if going to a new round.

selective area hits?
    Select venerable areas of character, hitting these areas can do more damage or give bonus or forfeits.

forfeits?
    Do a perticlat action, and it will get forfeit, less ability/stats etc, for limited time, or set time to work, next round for example.

rounds?
    A number of rounds for fighters to win

player AI?
    Single player fighting AI?

Pick pre match bonus
    Extra ability bonus selection at pre fight Vs screen, allows you to select ability percentage upgrade to a skill.

multiplayer fun?
    Multiplayer, is this set into the tool, or do we need addition tools coding etc.
    match ups of players, leader boards etc to match equal players or rankings to get to the top.

I hope it comes with full documentation, otherwise Ill be in a right fix trying to work it out.

5. Hendrixlt

Hendrixlt

You can use your own models and animations. Import them as .FBX with the animations.

6. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yes you definitely can use your own models and animations =) However if you want to reuse the animations presented in the demo in another character you will need a third party software as UFE currently uses the Legacy animation system (read my "Legacy vs Mecanim" review here).

I haven't setup any mailing list yet, but you can subscribe to this thread clicking in the "thread tools" on the top of this page or here. Hopefully it will be out soon so stay tuned to my replies here!

I'll have a website up first selling the package through sellfy.com and not long after that, Unity Asset Store.

--------------------
    Absolutely. Here is a screenshot of how it would look like in the editor (sorry, currently I don't have a dive kick animation to use as a visual example)
    $DivekickExample.jpg
    Notice that I've set this particular divekick to be triggered at any jump type (to be added soon: back jump and forward jump instead of angled jump), and instead of angles, you will apply forces to your character in the air. Here I have an horizontal force applied of 5 (X), meaning it will be a short divekick. You can then tweak these values on the fly during a live test to achieve a 45 or any degree angle you like. I'll soon also add an option to limit how high the character must be in the air in order for a certain move to be "triggable".

You can set those using several tools inside UFE's class. Currently the game fires these possible events:
    * OnLifePointsChange(float newLifePoints, CharacterInfo player)
    * OnNewAlert(string alertMessage, CharacterInfo player)
    * OnHit(MoveInfo move, BodyPart hitPart, CharacterInfo hitter)
    * OnMove(MoveInfo move, CharacterInfo player)
    * OnRoundEnds(CharacterInfo winner, CharacterInfo loser)
    * OnRoundBegins(int roundNumber)
    * OnGameEnds(CharacterInfo winner, CharacterInfo loser)
    * OnGameBegins(CharacterInfo player1, CharacterInfo player2, StageOptions stage)
    You can also have access to any variable live (available on every version) by accessing UFE.config in your code. Say you want to have gender differentiation when it comes to announce something, you could access that information through UFE.config.player1Character.gender and fire a different announce using the event OnNewAlert

You can adjust any kind of gauge gain, loss or limit using the gauge options when editing your move:
    $gaugeOptions.jpg

That can also be done using the global class. The OnHit function carries with it the body part where it hit. You then can access and adjust anything you want in the game (with UFE.config) to have your desired effect.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe you can have all those adjustments manually by using the events and adjusting the live data.

That's what I'm currently working on it.

Won't be available at launch unfortunately. That is scheduled to post release. However those with the open source version can still code it.

Can probably be coded as well using Events and some creative thinking. Things like Combat Stance, introduced about 2 weeks ago, can help not only as a different fighting stance, but as a different data settings for the same moves.

Won't be available at launch as well. Its also scheduled to post release. Those with the open source version can still code it.

Its what comes after the rounds. Hopefully it won't take as long.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  7. ninjasdf

ninjasdf

8. Dean Avanti

Dean Avanti

Thank you for the full answers.

I don't see the layouts to any character selections with bios. Id like to get ball rolling on my game by getting a writer I use to start with character bios, I think under 200 words might be about right. But hard to say due to not seeing selection screens and how the games UI works.Then from that I can hire the character work concepts from the bios.
    By then it should be out and I can test the fighting area size and then put some level designers to work.
    So it would be nice to see how menus and UI work so one can start planning.

Id like to use the engine and put some dev money into creating a game with it, lack of single play AI and multiplayer worry me a little, if sales don't do as well as expected on the engine it might get extra features dropped, that would then leave me to hire in to add them, that might prove expensive or difficult to recruit with possible long dev times.

If the engine is nicely supported, it does pose a possible nice quick turn around on investment, but the AI and MP worry me a little, of course I understand that not everything can be done at once, and I appreciate betas for early adopters to prototype quickly.

9. ninjasdf

ninjasdf

I'd like to piggy back on Dean Avanti's post and ask if at the very least is there a way to use other assets such as Photon PUN+ or Badumna Network Suite in order to accomplish online play with this toolkit?

10. Mistermind

Mistermind

The intro, character selection, stage selection, credits, options, as well as any extra GUI script in UFE package are all fully commented open source files (for all UFE versions). They also show some good examples on how to use the events and data from UFE into your code. You can use those examples to carve every possible scene you need.

The more people supporting the engine, the higher the chances of more features, more people helping and more community feedback, but I can't give you 100% guarantee that every wishlist will be fulfilled. We are all taking risks here, specially me and the full-time 4+ months I put into this =D

UFE should offer a fairly easy to use structure for setting commonly known fighting game data as well as give tools similar to those used by Capcom and NeatherRealms to create and balance their characters, but by all means this is not a full game solution and should not be treated as such. If it was, it wouldn't be considered a tool, but an open source game.
    That being said, don't depend on or halt your project because a feature is not out yet. Find ways around it, try changing it yourself, focus on other areas of the game that needs focus and even try talking to other UFE users. I'm sure there will be plenty of good souls out there =) If you are really serious about making a game, I'm sure a small investment in an engine will be just the beginning.

The engine does however come with an open source demo, but I highly recommend customizing everything about it. My personal recommendation is that you focus on having a junior programmer on board to help out first. If you don't, you can still have a game running in a couple days with UFE if you follow the (future) tutorials, but it probably won't be as personalized as you might want it to be.

11. Mistermind

Mistermind

I'll have to study those, but if you have the open source version that shouldn't be a problem.

12. jaelove

jaelove

Can we add music to the transition screens like in Street Fighter?

13. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yes. I'll have the open source files available with a function for that and a simple drag-n-drop for the music you want for each screen.

14. dezco

dezco

I saw a question earlier about using 2d sprites instead of 3d models. Is there a way to modify the source if it is purchased to have this engine work with 2d only?

15. Mistermind

Mistermind

Humm I'd say probably not for now. The engine works by tagging the character joints into the hitboxes, and 2d sprites don't have a joint system. You can still try using some of the several tools the engine have to adapt a 2d work, but it won't be an easy task. In the future I might have a 2d version of UFE (same as the already planned 3d one).

16. Mistermind

Mistermind

Btw guys, new video coming up today!
    Features presented:
    - Intro Screen
    - Options
    - Character Select
    - Stage Select
    - Round 1, round 2, final round
    - Intro cinematic
    - Outro cinematic
    - Auto-Alternative colors
    - Credits

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  17. jaelove

jaelove

Yes!!!!!!!lol:D

18. ninjasdf

ninjasdf

Nice!

Also concerning the 3d arena mode you are creating after this release.. I am far more interested in that than I am the 2.5d fighter. However, being a programmer myself, if it's going to be another couple months before that releases I might just want to get the 2.5d one and tweak it myself.

What exactly entails this entire process? I know you mentioned something about the hit boxes before. Would it be as simple as just using 3d maps and tweaking the system so the player model isn't restricted to a single plane?

19. Mistermind

Mistermind

New video is up!

20. jaelove

jaelove

Very Nice!!!!

21. Blackghost

Blackghost

Excellent job!

22. Blackghost

Blackghost

Are Supers and specials added in this release?

23. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yes, everything you see. I'm not sure I'll have time to remove the other options before holidays, so if anything, the pro open source is 100% confirmed to be released.

24. Blackghost

Blackghost

Ok great. Also, Are the super meters implemented yet and timer?

25. Blackghost

Blackghost

You are doing a wonderful job thus far. Your work will definitely be appreciated and put to good use.

26. Mistermind

Mistermind

I have the meter system 50% complete. Being pushing it over prioritizing other things, so is the timer. I'll try getting them out after documentation if I have time.

Thank you!

27. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

looks pretty cool. You might want to get rid of the spelling mistake in "rematch" you wrote "remach" instead.

28. Mistermind

Mistermind

Oops! =D

29. Exrudius

Exrudius

Omg this is perfect for what I need, I've been trying to make my own from scratch but its hard as balls man, (Im a beginner) I had almost given up hope but, I need to use this and I will give so much dang credit.

30. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

"remached" potatoes. hahaha!
    Great work. Hope the best for your release.

31. Exrudius

Exrudius

Also is it possible to have these
    -Teleporting in the air as double jump
    -Teleporting behind the enemy
    -shooting lightning
    -lighting striking down to give a lightning aura (deals small damage to the opponent when hit)
    -A forcefield wall
    -Forcefield like armor
    -Cause opponent to explode (maybe multiple times)
    -Launch yourself towards the opponent with explosion behind you
    -create a smoke cloud around the opponent that does damage over time
    -shoot poison at the opponent
    -change arms into swords
    -change opponent into different texture (ex. glass to lower its health)

I have a great game in mind...

32. Mistermind

Mistermind

You can probably use the armor from the move editor to emulate a force field. You can set the amount of armor a move has and it deteriorates with each hit.

You can probably find creative ways around the engine to emulate some of the things you want, but I'd recommend you get the open source version and try manipulating the code as you please. Since its an open source, there is absolutely no limits to what you can create =)

33. GPG

GPG

Just give me a date and a way to order and my money will be right with you :p

In all seriousness though this kit is looking extremely impressive I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

34. xXR4V3NXx

xXR4V3NXx

I'm definitely anticipating your release! My hobby is Homebrew gaming development with Mugen, XMugen ( mugen linux on a original modded Xbox)
    I have been using Fighter Factory Ultimate 3 to create my games in every aspect. I also work with Maya, Daz, Blender, Zbrush, PhotoShop and Unity 3D.
    Your concept is really needed for new commercial gaming devs that desire to make a fighter. Great work so far!

35. jillval

jillval

Good stuff. btw, will it support 3v3?

36. Mistermind

Mistermind

Not out of the box. but I'll definitely try having something like that in post release features. But since its open source, you can try finding ways around it.

37. jillval

jillval

cool. Thanks for reply.

38. Mistermind

Mistermind

Poll added

39. Blackghost

Blackghost

Hey Mmind, should we be expecting tutorials this up coming week? Are you currently submerged in documentation?

40. Mistermind

Mistermind

I had some personal problems in the past couple of days and it ended up delaying a lot of my work. With any luck I may be able to get one introduction video before source release though.

41. Blackghost

Blackghost

No problem. Hope all is well.

42. Pooty_Mack

Pooty_Mack

I know it's not vital to gameplay, but I'd like to create some stock sound fx and music for this project if you're interested. If it sounds like something you'd be interested in adding to it later on, let me know.

43. Mistermind

Mistermind

I'd love that! PM me so we can talk details =)

44. jaelove

jaelove

Is Dec 17 the official release or is it the projected date you will have everything finished? If I am not mistaken it takes a couple of days for Unity to publish the asset in the asset store.

45. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yeah I've been thinking about that too. I was thinking of making it available at sellfy as well just to make sure I can get it by that date, and with any luck I can try publishing before that on Unity.

46. jaelove

jaelove

ok sounds cool I will be ready ;)

47. Niitris

Niitris

Small question.

I see (and understand) the pricing but I just need clarification... is UFE free or just the unity engine?

48. Mistermind

Mistermind

Just Unity. Currently UFE has no free version. I might work on a very small demo version after February, but its uncertain.

49. tmntemps

tmntemps

hey, figured I would post here instead of on SRK

you linked this picture
    $2013-12-09_1935.png

to describe how the link system works.

what happens when you add a new frame link? does that add an item to the list of moves at the bottom, which will then share the properties you have created above that ("links only on hit," frame range, etc.) or does that add another property box so you can then have "categories" of links each with different link windows, some on whiff, stuff like that

for instance, if you were re-making Marvel vs Capcom 3 in this engine (just for examples sake) your light strength attack would have three categories with the following properties:
    - one category that lets you cancel active recovery frames of your attack on hit or whiff, but only into other light strength attacks (rapid fire jabs)
    - one category that lets you cancel active recovery frames into more powerful normal moves, but only on hit and in sequence
    - one category that lets you cancel into special moves at any time, on hit or whiff

also, if I am reading this correctly, if I have a "required move" before that, does that mean the framework is remembering which normals have been triggered in a sequence, allowing you do Tekken or Mortal Kombat style chains where you will get unique normal moves that are only possible as a part of a pre-determined sequence?

most of my questions I could answer myself just by playing around with the framework but I suppose I can't do that yet :p

50. Mistermind

Mistermind

Humm. Currently you can only set a group of moves with the conditions of "on hit" and the frame link of that move. That is in fact something I haven't thought of.

Almost =) They work not as an "and" but as an "or". If you previously played any of the previous moves listed here, you can then play this move.
    Its useful for having multiple combo links be able to link into a move with one of the requirements.
    I believe Mortal Kombat has chain combos like that, but I think the best example here would be Killer Instinct (kinda), where you can link certain doubles into several different moves, or in this case, a move that could be triggered from different combos.

Don't worry, questions always help me as a feedback.

This should help you guys:
    www.ufe3d.com

I'm working on a wiki for the documentation of UFE. I've already finished the Global Settings. Hopefully I can finish it all up by the end of the week!