Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

-

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by kornel-l-varga, Oct 4, 2018.

1. kornel-l-varga

kornel-l-varga

This thread is for all who fell in love with the concept of voxel based realtime GI and is already turning green because of the envy towards UE4's VXGI integration or just simply can't stop drooling over Armory's GI solution.

Now I know that SEGI is out there and is not completely dead partially thanks to @Ninlilizi, and that gorgeous beast HXGI is lurking in the shadows.

But at the end of the day, we are still standing here empty handed.

I am proposing to start an attempt of porting Nvidia's VXGI to Unity.
    I am not a genius programmer, but I am willing to learn and put the effort in, perhaps with some of the more advanced programmer around here chipping in their ideas/advices.

2. Mauri

Mauri

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  3. kornel-l-varga

kornel-l-varga

Sorry about that, does it sound like its done? I ll change it not to piss people off :)

So far only Flex is on AssetStore from GameWorks right? I mean besides the custom ports like the HBAO and the HairWorks from unity.jp .
    But they are all 2015,2016, its been 3 years..... slowly might just be too slow :)

4. Mauri

Mauri

Well, people might think that you made the impossible possible... :p Maybe you will? Please give it a go!

NVIDIA is actually an official Asset Store Partner. So far, they offer FleX, VRWorks, Ansel and Highlights for us Unity users :)

5. kornel-l-varga

kornel-l-varga

Well first I will follow up with NVIDIA to see if they are planning a VXGI port at all.
    in the meantime, some other approach . :eek:

6. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

If your already a semi component C# dev.... Adding shader expertise to your skillbase isn't going to be much more trouble than the time investment. I pretty much spent a big part of this year learning to shader, specifically to tackle GI... Picking up SEGI was initially an exercise in cementing my knowledge and turning the months of learning into practical experience. I just kinda ran with it from there, and why quit now?

If you want some material to learn a bit of shadering, I can highly recommend this blog https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/rendering/ . It was very useful to myself.

Also, for learning exercises. I'm more of a hands on learner. It's good to understand your own learning style, we all differ in that regard. But myself I found taking existing shaders and deciding the type of modification I want to make and then focused on figuring how to do it. And had lots of experiments with all sorts of stuff while I got my head round the general paradigm they follow.

7. kornel-l-varga

kornel-l-varga

Hey Ninlilizi,
    Thanks for the input! I love that blog, but unfortunately until now I did not have the chance to dig into the rendering part.
    My other favourite is Alan Zucconi's .

I see it now, that it will take substantial amount of time to do something like this, however even the learning curve is worth the time. I have asked the advice of Keijiro on the subject, and he told me that even with the proper knowledge on every needed subject this would take months of manhour. Which of course I dont mind, but facing the reality is important.
    You are probably right about fooling around with an existing system like SEGI, you know I only hoped that porting existing libraries from VXGI would be something like that, or even just creating wrappers to access them from Unity, but apparently its not that simple :D

Well either way your progress is inspiring, and I think I'll go down that road too! Perhaps keeping this thread alive with my experiences.

8. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

Absolutely, Do it!
    The more of us working on this kind of thing. The more likely that in the future we'll be able to meet in the middle and come up with something special.

Thanks for the link. I was not aware of that one. Looks like some really useful stuff in there :)