Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

VXGI and HDRP

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by jjejj87, Aug 3, 2018.

1. jjejj87

jjejj87

I would like to ask the HDRP team if some sort of realtime GI or VXGI variant is in works or planned. I am aware that HDRP and Scriptable render pipeline is still a WIP but was wondering if I should start to work on my own solution or if the realtime GI is planned as part of the HDRP.

Hope one of the devs can chime on this.

Thanks in advance.

AntonioModer and soleron like this.
  2. jjejj87

jjejj87

Just wanted to add, if the devs feel that they can't answer it at the moment then feel free to say so. I just want to know if it is a viable option to invest in VXGI development now.

Thanks.

3. neoshaman

neoshaman

4. Mauri

Mauri

SEGI is no longer under active development and probably won't work with Unity 2018 and the HDRP...

5. neoshaman

neoshaman

But it's open source and accessible, you make it workable with hdrp with some grease on the shoulder.

6. jjejj87

jjejj87

This is precisely my question, I just want to know if HDRP team is planning on a realtime GI solution. If not, then I will use SEGI and try to make it work with HDRP. But before I do that, I want to know if my time invested will be worth it because if HDRP team is planning on a solution, then I don't want to work on SEGI.

Hope someone from the HDRP team can say something.

7. elbows

elbows

I would be rather surprised if they responded in the positive about this.

If Unity were to change their approach to GI one day to include this sort of realtime, non-pre-computed GI, I dont think now (or any of their forward looking plans right now) would be the time. I never say never, but since there is so much else to do and make great in HDRP, I dont think 2018 or 2019 will be the time for it.

Likewise if VXGI ever came to Unity then I would expect that to be a nvidia-led thing (or another 3rd party), and again the timing doesnt seem right for it. Who can say how 3rd parties will approach adding things to HDRP when the time comes, but HDRP is too immature at the moment for companies like nvidia to do this work now.

Obviously these are just my opinions and I have no special insight, but the safer bet remains that no, Unity have other fish to fry at the moment, and even when they are done with the main work of HDRP there may be other fresh priorities around by that time, eg adding certain raytracing-based stuff to the mix.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity's plan is to use Enlighten for GI with additional probe data where needed. This is the best approach for most games.

VXGI and other options are best installed at a SRP level and designed with SRP in mind.

9. jjejj87

jjejj87

I really hope they bring some sort of VXGI solution to HDRP. I really do.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

For procedural levels?

11. jjejj87

jjejj87

For my use case, no, not for procedural levels.

12. soleron

soleron

Looks like VXGI is being revived in the Unreal community with the help of Nvidia.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/vxgi

There are Unity developers who did work with it to a certain degree (livenda and others) but it appears that all related work has somehow gone down the drain.

13. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, we have no plan to integrate VXGI currently.

hippocoder likes this.
  14. neoshaman

neoshaman

Unity will come out with a better gi solution, like dual paraboloid atlas (visibility query) and using lightmap as scene representation so we can have one to one relation from every points of the scene, we just need to sample (trace ray) them using the paraboloid with the UV of the lightmap projected on it. :p:D

Or not

/joking don't kill me

15. kornel-l-varga

kornel-l-varga

fair enough, how about runtime GI baking? probably would be even better for my project...

16. dave_sf_42

dave_sf_42