Search Unity

Vuzix Blade app laggy but runs good on phone

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by athagar, Sep 17, 2019.

1. athagar

athagar

Hey All, I'm new to Unity and the Vuzix Blade. I've got a basic app that just pops up a 3D model on an ImageTarget. It runs well on my phone, but when I deploy it to my Vuzix Blade it runs really laggy. I had an on screen controller to move the model around but I removed it because it didn't work on the Blade. Does anyone have anyone ideas to improve performance?

2. JulieIn3D

JulieIn3D

Hi athagar, no answer here, sorry...I actually have a question. I have an AR Unity app working on Android phones that I now need to get onto the Blade. Did you do it all in the Unity Editor and use Unity to build what you needed for the Blade? Or did you have to create something outside of Unity to do get it onto the Blade?

3. athagar

athagar

First, you have to get your Blade in development mode, this link will help if you havent already done that: https://qiita.com/hygradme/items/ea8190b89428ca6bbc76 I didnt do the adb stuff.

Then you have to go to Vuforia.com and create a database for the object that your program is going to interact with. This vid will help with that (mute the vid):

Let me know if that answers your question or not. The lack of support for the Blade is appalling.

4. JulieIn3D

JulieIn3D

Thanks. I did already have the adb device link there but appreciate it. I had to get help to get the adb stuff going. I may have the wrong version of Unity for my Andorid App for the Blade, so I checking with Vuzix on that topic. I'm super close so getting excited.

cool AR app creation video, I've not seen that one but I have created my app already. You probably have seen this set from Unity officially but its good, I used the audio pop sound on loss of tracking, that works great. here is the link for that:
    https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/recorded-video-session-creating-ar-content-with-vuforia#

I think the Blade is just so cool so working out the kinks is worth it. Forsure they need more love to their docs! I am guessing there is a dev community that I'm not in yet where much more is discussed. If I find it I'll post it here. A video tutorial maybe on how to do some of this would rock. I'll try to create one once this is all working... might be a while though. ;-)

5. athagar

athagar

So, after 6 weeks, Vuzix support got back to me >< I had connection issues with my phone. They pretty much told me to turn Bluetooth off/on, so totally useless. I also asked if there was a developer forum. He said there isn't, so you aren't missing anything. The Blade could be really cool, but they're shooting themselves in the foot with no community.

VincentSerpico likes this.
  6. Shaba1

Shaba1

I totally
    I totally agree athagar. These are the first pair of AR glasses are getting close to what I consider the "Triple Crown" AR/VR
    #1) Aesthetics... That is something that does not make you look like a Borg drone walking around the street.
    #2) Realistic Price point. ---- You have to make the thing within that middle class consumer's budget range. To me hat is less than $USD 1000 down to $USD 500 Microsoft HoloLens is great and from what I have seen on line of some of the demo apps it is really useful but who has $3500 just laying around.
    #3 Useful apps and easy interface.--- Here is where vuzix really could do better. That touching and swiping on the left temple really makes you look stupid to people around you . Why not use hand gesture recognition?? Even using a Bluetooth or RFID ring like smart Focals if you have to. AND Make third party development easier by including a plugin for Unity/Vuforia. There is already one fo thier M100 and M300 products