Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Vulkan perfomance is the same is DX11

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by AlteredPlanets, Mar 11, 2019.

1. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

no difference in DX11 vs vulkan.

do you want a bug report for this?

Semaphore.WaitForSignal in the editor makes build and editor REALLy slow , and editor is slow overall

any decent game scene will do for performance comparison, VIKINGS demo , Book of dead , etc

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

How is this a problem?

3. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

vulkan is supposed to be faster

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Maybe, but that's only if the developer really tailors their game towards Vulkan. And that's not Unity's job, it's the game developer's job.

And with one exception I've never really seen a game be faster in Vulkan. For example :

5. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

DOOM

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I did say one exception, did I not? :)

7. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

8. slime73

slime73

One of the main benefits of Vulkan is it allows multiple threads to efficiently submit work at once. Unity's native graphics jobs leverage that when Vulkan is used, AFAIK - have you tried profiling a CPU render work-bound game using that option?

9. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

yea but graphic jobs work in DX11 as well

10. slime73

slime73

As far as I understand, only "legacy" graphics jobs are supported in the D3D11 backend. They don't do any interaction with the actual graphics API on the graphics job threads, whereas native graphics jobs do.

11. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

https://forum.unity.com/threads/quiet-about-graphics-jobs.527203/

I saw you posted here, unity has the nerve to come out at conferences and promote this stuff in a extremely unfinished state.

1. Why in the world is Android the main focus for Vulkan ,what a silly idea ,
    2. graphics jobs does barely anything for 2 YEARS, but yet TIMELINE and SRP is more important and so important that the editor can get slower as well.
    3. all the Effects in srp can be found packages off the asset store and can be made in 2017. The whole point of SRP was improve the PERFORMANCE of those graphics features? but instead performance is the same or worse.
    4. Occlusion culling in unity is terrible , culling time decreases performance so you dont even get performance boost
    5.2019 is a embrassment at this point , I never opened a version and was met with errors .
    6.the new package system is bugged , why isnt the incremental GC a package? so you dont have update to unity 2019 mess.
    7.Community made content is far better that actual unity staff stuff , like SECTR , GDOC /gdoc-dynamic-gpu-occlusion-culling-139079, HX volumetric lighting .

8.Bug reports have been made,its never fixed ,plus why is the employees at unity not noticing these issues they are not hard to find.

Here is my game in unity 2017 60fps no lightmapping,light probes, or occusion culling ,NO SRP (all features decreased performance) to show how useless SRP if its not going to improve performance.
    bandicam 2019-01-15 13-07-52-211.jpg bandicam 2019-01-13 16-58-45-671.jpg
    bandicam 2019-02-06 13-45-55-610.jpg bandicam 2019-01-13 13-30-43-749.jpg

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's not. Vulkan for Android is a buggy mess right now. It's not even auto included in the build by default, since it causes more problems than it solves.
    Agree with you there.
    They will fix them. It might take a while (a year?).

13. Mauri

Mauri

Rumor has it that 2019 is still in Beta and Beta versions tend to have errors. If you don't like that, then don't use them.

14. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

How fast does it run in 2019.1? Can you isolate what's more expensive than in earlier Unity builds?

15. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

project is large and some assets have to removed and reimported everytime I upgrade. So its time cosuming and I havent upgraded it. The game just reach gold release and is being reviewed on steam .

https://store.steampowered.com/app/340190/Night_Crisis/

16. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If you didn't profile the game, how do you know Vulkan isn't faster? I mean, just because Vulkan isn't an improvement for my project, doesn't mean other projects won't benefit. I guess it's very project and content related how much of an improvement it makes. Maybe Vulkan performs great with your game. Would be interesting to know!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Because no other important platform has Vulkan as its only high performance graphics API. On Windows you have DirectX 11 and 12. Keep in mind that Vulkan is a very complicated graphics API and is still considered WIP in Unity.

Not if you're CPU draw call bound. It gives significant performance improvements on certain projects, like the MegaCity.

This is being worked on as part of ECS.

Because it required changes to the whole engine in order to support it. There's a reason it took us so long to make it work.

Do you have case numbers? I can look up where those bugs got stuck. In general, a lot of issues are related directly to the projects you're using and are not reproducible in others.

LeonhardP and Peter77 like this.
  18. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

in THE HUNT asset pack performance was the same, sometimes it crashes , vulkan was announced as performance improvement way back in 5.6 . graphic jobs is the same way. I expected no crashes and higher performance Im done with unity and vulkan at this point.

Some unity guy in another thread was wondering why I expected better performance.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/vulkan-perfomance-is-the-same-is-dx11.642994/

you have a thread taking about how every release performance is slower.Do you think anyone who is using unity commercially and making large scale games is going to keep upgrading in hope that a feature MIGHT work?

19. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Users Posts

"
    It seems that the Unity editor is getting slower and glitchier with every update and 2019.1 seems to continue that trend.
    It also crashed a few times on me."

"2018.3 was a complete bugfest on our game of 80k lines of code. Multiple hard crashes, editor hangs, prefab bugs, dll loading errors, you name it."

so its not just a beta thing

20. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

Performance improvements from Graphics Jobs and Vulkan are going to depend on the specific project. For example, we found Vulkan led to a decrease in performance, and Graphics Jobs led to a decent improvement in our (very much CPU-bound) project. They are not magical frame-rate-improving tickboxes, you need to evaluate them with respect to your own project.