Search Unity

Bug Vulkan Detection Pixel 3

Discussion in 'Android' started by matthew-holtzem, Nov 18, 2020.

1. matthew-holtzem

matthew-holtzem

Last week I installed the latest November security update for my Pixel 3 and all of a sudden it seems like Vulkan is not working specifically for debug builds.

I get a log saying Vulkan detection: 0 and then a warning about the app not supporting my device (we have it set up for Vulkan only)

oddly if I do a non-debug build things seem to work fine.

Has anybody else experienced this or have any idea of what is going on?

Attached Files:

2. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

What‘s the Unity version and Android version?
    And what exactly do you mean with „debug build“?

3. matthew-holtzem

matthew-holtzem

Android Version:
    Android 11
    Security Update November 5, 2020
    Build Number
    RP1A.201105.002

Unity Version:
    2019.4.4f1

As far as what does "debug build" mean in our case that means that BuildOptions.Development is unchecked and that the compiler directive "DEBUG" is present.

Today I'll see if I can replicate this on an empty project to see if there is anything particular about our project or build process that might help reproducing the issue

4. matthew-holtzem

matthew-holtzem

I've tried building with a mostly empty project and am not able to reproduce the issue so I guess there is something very specific about this combination of device + project + build settings that's causing this issue

5. jawad_ahmad

jawad_ahmad

I'm seeing the same issue on my Pixel 2 XL using Unity 2019.4.15. I can't speak for whether it worked before my last Android update, but I can confirm that the Vulkan detection fails when running a Unity Development Build, but is able to detect it if running a non-Development Build.

My Android version is 11 (RPA1.201005.004), with Security Update 5 Oct 2020.

When running the same build on a Samsung GS7 (International version, which uses the Exynos chipset), it detects Vulkan when using Development Build.

matthew-holtzem likes this.
  6. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

I can't reproduce this with RP1A.201105.002 on a Pixel 3XL on latest Unity 2019.4. Vulkan works for me in a development build.
    Can anyone please report a bug with repro project so that our QA can have a look?

7. jawad_ahmad

jawad_ahmad

Yup, will do! Just to echo @matthew-holtzem, I just happen to create a new minimal project (for a different Vulkan related bug!) and noticed that it seems to work fine on my Pixel 2XL using a development build. It must be something that I/we are doing in our main projects that seems to trigger the issue. I'm hoping I can narrow it down for you!

florianpenzkofer likes this.
  8. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

If you have a bug number please post it here.