Search Unity

Bug Vulkan crashes editor on start

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Genebris, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Genebris

Genebris

Hello, can you please help me understand this crash?
    I have a project in DX11 and it works flawlessly. I simply restart the editor with Vulkan and it always crashes on loading the scene. Says out of memory, but it's very strange. Log says it couldn't allocate just 2MB of memory type 7:
    Vulkan - Out of device memory! (allocating 2097152 bytes of memory type 7)
    Vulkan - Suboptimal memory type used for image because of low memory
    Crash!!!

What is memory type 7 and why can't it find 2MB for it? Sometimes it also says memory type 10.

I have a medium sized scene, nothing crazy for my hardware which is proven by the fact that DX11 never crashes. Yet with Vulkan I can only load really tiny scenes with just one room. Anything serious just immediately crashes. Same happens in build if I manage to make one.

• GTX 1060 3GB new drivers, 16GB RAM, windows 10.
    • HDRP
    • Unity 2021.3 and 2022.2.5
    • Using mip map streaming with 3GB limit
    Attaching crash log, maybe you can help me understand what it means.
    I've submitted bug report: https://unity3d.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/2/IN-31736

I also have the same crash with DX12 in 2022.2 so potentially the same issue. Only DX11 actually works for me.

Attached Files:

2. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam

Was this bug accepted or did you get any feedback from Unity? I can confirm that memory / VRAM consumption is ridiculously high under Vulkan in 2022.2, at least for HDRP projects. Even simple scenes use considerably more VRAM under Vulkan compared to DX11, and if the scene is a bit more complex, it quickly results in a crash (OOM with 4 GB VRAM graphics card, while DX11 works fine on 2 GB VRAM cards).

3. Genebris

Genebris

4. siavunity

siavunity

I am experiencing the same problem.