Search Unity

Vulkan Builds Broken on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NathanWarden, Apr 1, 2017.

1. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

I know this doesn't technically belong in this section since it's reproducible in the official Windows Editor as well, but probably anybody who cares about this bug are in this section.

I filed this bug report, which still has the same problem in 5.6.0f3
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?894318_t2urddj83u6m06f3

Vulkan builds on Windows work just fine, but Linux ones don't work, at least for me they don't.

If anybody is interested in reproducing it, there's one thing not mentioned in the bug report since it's automatically included in the example project, and that is to make sure that Vulkan is the ONLY api you include. If you just move Vulkan to the top of the APIs it'll fall back to OpenGL and you'll think it's running Vulkan when in fact it's running OGL.

Do multiple bug reports from others mean it'll be higher priority?

Thanks,
    Nathan

2. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

It turns out I was just missing libvulkan. I figured it was installed but forgot that every Vulkan game I was running was linking against the Steam Runtime, not my machine... of course. :p

Ubuntu:
    sudo apt install libvulkan-dev

knobby67 likes this.
  3. Tak

Tak

We do fall back to OpenGL if you've prioritized Vulkan but we can't initialize it (and vice versa, although that's extremely unlikely to occur today).
    You can also force vulkan with the -force-vulkan command line option (as long as it's actually enabled for the build), and you can see in the player log (~/.config/unity3d/Company/Project/Player.log) which API was used and any diagnostic information from the graphics device initialization.

4. MikeBike

MikeBike

Hmm starting the editor with -force-vulkan still says Opengl4.5 on Ubuntu. What else do I need to do?
    Seems I need 5.6? Where to download that?
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  5. Tak

Tak

Editor doesn't support Vulkan today.