Search Unity

Vuforia Image Target Location Data and Rendering AR Graphics Without Image Targets

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by hulope, Jan 30, 2018.

1. hulope

hulope

Hi all!

I am researching technologies to make an app used for tabletop RPGs and am wondering if what I hope to achieve is viable with Unity and Vuforia.

The premise is that User 1 will have multiple 2d image targets on a table representing walls, monsters and player characters - with 3d models rendered on top of these targets. I need to be able to record where each target is relative to eachother using the camera, so that the same images can be replicated and projected onto another surface on another device without these markers. The positions of the image markers relative to eachother will be sent to user 2 for rendering.

Is it possible to extract the data of each image target's position in relation to the camera from the VR camera? If so where would I look to get this data.

Is it also possible with Vuforia to render models without image targets in the camera's view, but just the information of where they should be?

2. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello @hulope,

I believe you'd be able to achieve this by setting your World Center Mode to camera on the ARCamera. Now, all targets you detect will have their position set relative to the camera. You can get the positions of each target by checking the transform on the Image Target object.

Once you have all these positions, I can think of two options for the second part of your question. You can try just rendering these at the positions relative to the camera of the second user. The issue I see here is that this user won't have anything anchoring the augmentation down, but if you're constantly feeding the data from user 1 this might not be an issue.

The second option for user 2 would be to project a Ground Plane on their table and use this in combination with the positions from user 1 to place the content relative to the camera + plane.

I think you'll need to do some testing and experimenting here based on your expected use case environments and see which of these would work best for you.

Thanks!

3. Taha121

Taha121

hey i got a issue unity shows camera is not rendering when i try to test