Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Vuforia area target alternatives

Discussion in 'AR' started by grembek, Oct 28, 2021.

1. grembek

grembek

Hi,

I am looking to learn what other solutions are in the market as the Vuforia area target feature. Any thoughts?

Thanks

drewjosh likes this.
  2. stereocorp3d

stereocorp3d

3. pavel056

pavel056

4. tomassev

tomassev

Hi could you please share sample code?

I want ask if you first create 3D model of space and then used them as world map for Unity or how you did that?

Many thanks,
    Tomas

drewjosh likes this.
  5. drewjosh

drewjosh

I am also looking for an alternative, since Vuforia Area Targets is a very powerful feature of Vuforia Engine, but is very expensive (30k USD per year after deployment, 10k USD per year for Universities). In recent years I have worked a lot with Area Targets and even created YouTube tutorials. They work very well and solve many problems very nice and quite easy for developers: point cloud creation, real world reconstruction, occlusion, tracking, etc. Documentation has improved a lot, nevertheless the price is a huge obstacle.

@pavel0506 Thanks for pointing out ARWorldMaps, it looks quite promising. Nevertheless I am looking for something to cover Android and iOS with one code base.

Maybe the Point clouds feature of AR Foundation could be an alternative, I haven't tried it yet. Depending on which platform an app runs it uses ARKit or ARCore. So maybe for the Point clouds feature it is even using ARWorldMaps of ARKit. Does someone have experience with Point clouds of AR Foundation?

Best regards,
    drewjosh

6. tea_tm

tea_tm

Hi,Can I take a look about your video?

drewjosh likes this.
  7. drewjosh

drewjosh

Sure! Here is the link to the playlist. There are more videos in the making.