Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Vuforia 8 update and Unity Cloud Build

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by henriqueranj, Jan 10, 2019.

1. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello,

I read the release notes for Vuforia 8.0.10 and saw a known limitation with Unity Cloud Build that I need to know better how to handle it.

In the notes, it is stated: "Unity Cloud Build is currently not supported if Vuforia is upgraded through an update installer."

(https://library.vuforia.com/content.../Release_Notes/Vuforia-SDK-Release-Notes.html)
    1. Does this mean I have to uninstall a Unity version and reinstall it so I can update my project to Vuforia 8 and make it work with Unity Cloud Build?
    2. And do I need to remove all Vuforia plugin related files from my project and re-import them via the Unity Editor?
    3. Shouldn't Unity Cloud Build somehow determine the version of Vuforia to use based on version of the plugin in the project?
    4. Further, why is it now the case that Vuforia needs to be installed into the Unity Editor and not a standalone Unity package as in the past?
    5. Are there any future plans to improve this or move to a package system? As it stands, it seems like it is not possible to maintain projects that need to keep the old Vuforia versions and I see no advantages with this current system.

2. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Update: I read further into this issue in: https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/update-installers-unity.html

"Note: Upgrading an existing installation of Unity with a new Vuforia version will break compatibility with Unity Cloud Build. Cloud build can only be used with the version of Vuforia that is included with the original installation."

This means that Unity Cloud Build is forever stuck with the Vuforia version that is originally packaged in a Unity version, and we would have to wait for Unity to release a new version and hope it comes packaged with Vuforia 8. Then wait for Unity Cloud Build to also release support for that version.

Therefore, could someone from Vuforia please still support with questions #3, #4, and #5?

3. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in this topic. Unfortunately, I don't have the answers you're searching for as there are limitations both on the Unity and Vuforia sides of these issues. I believe that we have a good understanding of them and are actively working with Unity to improve the pain points, but we have no timeline on when any improvements may be available.

Hopefully, we'll be able to make some progress in 2019. Apologies for the unsatisfying answer.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

4. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello,

Quick update on this.

We have verified that Unity Cloud Builds are supported when using Unity 2018.3.4f1 (which includes Vuforia 8.0.10). Any Unity version that includes 7.5.26 should work as well, but only the versions above have been verified explicitly.

There are two common pitfalls that need to be considered:
    • When using cloud builds, you need to use the Vuforia version that came with Unity out of the box. You cannot patch your local Unity installation to a newer version of Vuforia. We are working with Unity to resolve this restriction in an upcoming release.
    • The Vuforia developer agreement needs to be accepted on at least one local development machine. Accepting the agreement will result in a change to your Assets/Resources/VuforiaConfiguration.asset. This change needs to be uploaded to your project repository before starting the cloud build. Failure to do so will result in exactly the error message posted in the following Vuforia forums post.
    Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support