Search Unity

Vuforia 8.1.7 can't create archive on iOS

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by -Aymeric-, Apr 23, 2019.

1. -Aymeric-

-Aymeric-

Hey,

I'm using Unity 2019.1.0f2 and when I create an archive on iOS I get this error. Note it works fine on device.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello,

I believe this may be related to support for 32-bit iOS devices being removed from 8.1.7 Engine SDK: https://library.vuforia.com/content.../Release_Notes/Vuforia-SDK-Release-Notes.html

"Support for iOS 9, iOS 10 and 32-bit iOS devices has been removed. Developers should update their builds to target a minimum release of iOS 11 and remove references to 32-bit architectures (armv7, armv7s)."

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

3. thibouf

thibouf

Hello,

Just to say that is problem also occur with Unity 2018.3.14f1 as Vuforia has been updated to 8.1.7 also which for me is quite problematic.
    Such a breaking change should not have been deployed in a minor Unity version because that means that if we want to keep the compatibility with theses devices and ios version will be forced to stay in 2018.3.13 and wont be able to get future Unity bugfixes.

Currently user with iOs < 11 represent around 8% of our new installs. This is not negligible, and losing them for a minor bugfixing update does not feel quite right.

Is there something you can do to make Vuforia build again with these device in the Unity 2018.X branch ? For me, as AR is optional in my game, I would be fine if Vuforia does not work, but at least I need the app to build correctly .

4. meedabit

meedabit

Hello @thibouf,

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I've escalated your concerns to the team.

Do you need to upgrade to 8.1.7? My recollection is that most (if not all) 2018.3 downloads come packaged with 8.0.X which still provides the capability to create 32-bit iOS builds.

-Vuforia Engine Support

5. thibouf

thibouf

I definitively do NOT need to upgrade to 8.1.7. But the upgrade has been included with the last 2018.3.14 download. (see changelog https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2018.3.14 ) . That is my concern, as it means that since this version all future ones (including the 2018.4 LTS) will have this upgrade included.

As I am using cloud build, I do not have the choice of the Vuforia version I used with a given unity version. So If I want to stick to Vuforia 8.0.X I am definitively stuck to Unity 2018.3.13 :-/

6. EdRowlett-Barbu

EdRowlett-Barbu

Does anyone from Unity/Vuforia have an update on this issue? We can't do any builds on iOS in 2018.3.14f1. Archiving step (when building an ipa) lipo complains that the vuforia framework is not a fat file, and build fails... Happens on cloud build as well as our local mac

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  7. -Aymeric-

-Aymeric-

@Zadirion try with iOS min version >= 11.

8. EdRowlett-Barbu

EdRowlett-Barbu

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but if you're referring to Project Settings->Player->other settings->Target minimum iOS Version, that's already set to 11.0

Is this what you meant?

9. EdRowlett-Barbu

EdRowlett-Barbu

Can someone please address this issue? I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone, it's not just my project experiencing this issue. Would be great if we could get an official answer on what the solution/workaround for this is. This is quite the breaking change to be introduced during a patch version!

10. meedabit

meedabit

Hello @Zadirion,

I see that you're using Unity 2018.3.14f1. Which version of Vuforia Engine are you using with that version of Unity?

Unity Editor->Window->Vuforia Configuration

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

11. EdRowlett-Barbu

EdRowlett-Barbu

@meedabit
    Hi, thanks for the response. It shows as Vuforia 8.1.7 in the dialog you mentioned.

12. meedabit

meedabit

Hello @Zadirion,

I believe this may be related to support for 32-bit iOS devices being removed from 8.1.7 Engine SDK: https://library.vuforia.com/content.../Release_Notes/Vuforia-SDK-Release-Notes.html

"Support for iOS 9, iOS 10 and 32-bit iOS devices has been removed. Developers should update their builds to target a minimum release of iOS 11 and remove references to 32-bit architectures (armv7, armv7s)."

We clearly understand the previous feedback about not introducing "breaking changes" into LTS versions of Unity, but unfortunately we cannot unchange it. If this is still blocking you, please DM me.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support