Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug VT is extremely unstable on Mac Editor

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by Onat-H, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Onat-H

Onat-H

Unity constantly crashes on mac using virtual texturing.
    I unfortunately can't file a bug report as the project size is over 100gb...

Tested on 2022.1b11 and 2021.2f15

Edit: After disabling VT (which is not an option for our project), Unity is stable again, so I can confirm that VT causes instabilities in current Unity versions.

Here is the relevant part of an editor.log

AydinDeveloper likes this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @Onat-H,

Are you on M1 or Intel? There is a known issue with VT on M1 machines which we're currently investigating.

3. Onat-H

Onat-H

I’m on m1, but I tested both editor versions, and I have the same problem using the intel version on M1.

Is there a current workaround (that doesn't involve disabling VT) until this is fixed? And is there an estimate when the fix will land?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We don't have a fix yet so I can't share an estimate. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a workaround.

5. Onat-H

Onat-H

Well, then I hope you find one soon :D Do you have an issuetracker link so I can track this? Thank you!

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The case is being tracked internally only at the moment but I'll update you when I know more or when it becomes available on the Issue Tracker.

Onat-H likes this.
  7. Onat-H

Onat-H

Thhanks, but it seems this was fixed in 2022.1b12. Everything is mostly stable now!
    I guess that VT just amplified this Bug (as it wasn't rare at all but rather all the time...):
    • macOS: Fixed rare crash in GameView pointing to BufferMetal::IsBusy. (1405248)
    Just for comparison: I couldn't even launch Unity anymore depending on which scene I was in, and there was a 50-80% chance that opening another scene crashed the editor. Now I had no crash since yesterday when I updated.

LeonhardP likes this.
  8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Well, that's great to hear. Glad the issue seems to be fixed for you.