Search Unity

VSCode: state of #define / symbol defines ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spacefrog, May 17, 2019.

1. spacefrog

spacefrog

I very much love the slickness of VS Code, but until now i held back from using it for my Unity development, because AFAIK it does not support / respect #if SYMBOL_DEFINED conditional compilation and syntac coloring etc.. inside the editor .
    Maybe i understand this wrong , but how are you supposed to write code for multiple platforms ( iOS / ANDROID etc.. ) if such a basic feature is missing ? Or is it not ?

Please no recommendations to use Rider etc... or anything similar like that its a limitation of the omnisharp thingy at the back of the c# extension of VS Code, those are all the things one can learn from google already

I just wanted to know if i miss something obvious here, that would enable me to use #define and #if / #endif the usual way with VS Code, inside the code editor like i used to be able with Monodevelop or VS itself ...
    Thanks for everyone answering this question :)

2. spacefrog

spacefrog

Hmm .. there have to be some people using VS Code together with Unity who have more insight on the state of the #define situation ... Please step out of the shadow :)

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

4. Player7

Player7

MS are too busy supporting the javascrap/typescrap developers to bother implementing such c# features.

Hell they suck so much they still haven't event got mousewheel tab support, and only the S***ty tabbar scroll feature instead of multiline tabbar, even though someone else patched it in and provided the effing the fix, they still can't even be bothered to put it in a release.

5. spacefrog

spacefrog

thanks for digging that up, but I don't need #region support that urgently
    I'm after #define support, to see which code parts get compiled/used with various #defines in the source code.
    As far i understood the extension in your posted link only introduces folding for #region blocks ... nothing more

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Ah. I don't know why I read #define as #region. :p

7. Player7

Player7

8. spacefrog

spacefrog

ViveSoftware and MarkHenryC like this.