Search Unity

VSCode on Mac doesn't open correct file

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by laurie71, Aug 30, 2019.

1. laurie71

laurie71

I have VSCode selected as my default editor, with the default command line parameters. When opening scripts from the editor, VSCode opens the project but doesn't switch to the file I opened. It seems to be ignoring the -g command-line argument. I've tried removing the project path, as well as adding a -r option, but no luck.

Is this a known limitation with using VSCode, or is there a fix? This really makes VSCode a lot less convenient to use with Unity.

Thanks!

Muckel likes this.
  2. amroc

amroc

Having the same issue too, started when I switched from 2019.1 to 2019.2. There's another thread about this with some suggested fixes but they seem mainly to be for Windows.

3. laurie71

laurie71

Interesting; I tested on 2019.1 and it worked fine. That version doesn't offer the option to specify the command arguments, so I tried clearing them in 2019.2 but without luck. I also tried pointing the editor at a script that would log the command arguments then call the 'real' code command, but Unity wouldn't let me select the script (or the 'code' executable for that matter) so no go there.

If anyone knows a fix for this annoying regression please let us know!

4. amroc

amroc

Yeah it just seems as if Unity isn't actually sending the $(File) param at all, once VSCode is open.

Found a sort of workaround. File selection works again after downgrading the Visual Studio Code Editor package to 1.0.3. This version though seems to not recognise the $(ProjectPath) param (I couldn't find anywhere if the name was different in this version or just didn't exist), so I just have -g ($File) in the args, and I manually load the solution folder in VSCode on startup. Hardcoding the folder path at the start of the args might work too.

Not sure if using 1.0.3 will throw up any problems but it seems ok so far. According to the package log the changes in 1.0.7 were: "Fix various OSX specific issues. Generate project on load if they are not generated. Fix path recognition." Maybe that's when the problem was introduced.

Muckel likes this.
  5. shengyihua88

shengyihua88

This problem has affected me for a long time. Now I have to change to another IDE. I don't know if there are several versions on Mac, including 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2010.3.x. The authorities don't seem to be taking it seriously.

6. laurie71

laurie71

Interesting, that's definately worth a try, although I'm using the same vscode everywhere and it's working for all versions on Unity I've tried prior to 2019.2. For what it's worth, the $(ProjectPath) param is expanded by Unity before calling vscode, not by vscode itself; what might be lacking is support for specifying a project path on the command line that way at all, though.

7. juanfornos

juanfornos

Muckel and amroc like this.
  8. Muckel

Muckel

9. diesoftgames

diesoftgames

FWIW this seems to work if you quit VS Code before trying to click through in Unity. Obviously a very S***ty work-around, but there are cases (like when I generate a whole bunch of errors in various files I need to chase down) where knowing this can be helpful.

10. shengyihua88

shengyihua88

Why is there no reported fix for this bug? I've been waiting a long time, and the Visual Studio Code Editor version has been upgraded to 1.1.2, but it still doesn't work.

11. diesoftgames

diesoftgames

Didn't realize 1.1.2 was out, but I just updated and it's working for me now. Maybe just try restarting Unity and VS Code if you didn't already.

12. laurie71

laurie71

Confirmed, seems to work great for me now.

13. shengyihua88

shengyihua88

All the software I use is the latest version, and it still doesn't work. The main problem is that only a single script can be opened, and it can't be automatically opened as a project.
    QQ20190914-153854@2x.png

14. diesoftgames

diesoftgames

Hmmm, that seems like something else since the project doesn't appear to be opening.

I just seem to have lost code folding (tried fiddling with the settings and restarting VS Code but it's just gone forever). Seems like maybe that coincided with this update, anyone else noticing that or perhaps it's unrelated?

15. Rachzella

Rachzella

I started unity and launched a script. But no, i don't seem to have this issue. What i did have is the scenes opening in vs code. simpely removing vs code as the default editor was a fix. i don't have any other editors installed so it launches in vs code. if that doesn't fix it. There are multiple extensions for unity in vs code. Just type in unity in the exstension bar. they should help you. if not. restart your mac. and open the project folder in vs code. then it should launch the right one.

16. AussieSwissDave

AussieSwissDave

I'm too having VS code problems. All error lines just send me to the bottom of the function, not the actual line causing the error. This makes debugging near impossible.

Does anyone know how to revert back to Visual Studio? I don't want to, but VS Code is leaving me no choice.

17. adamgolden

adamgolden

You might be disappointed with Visual Studio (at least Community, can't speak for the other versions) it has issues like this on occasion too (opening from console output link jumping to the closing brace of a function instead of the actual line). Also where if Visual Studio isn't open already and you open a script from Unity sometimes it just loads Visual Studio but doesn't open the script - this only happens if it's not already open though. It has seemed a bit more stable lately, fwiw.

18. AussieSwissDave

AussieSwissDave

Thank you for your reply :)

I mean I used Visual Studio for a while and yes, I was disappointed.

But what are my other options? I literally cannot use Unity right now if the debugger won't tell me where the bug is.

If I go into Preferences/External Tools I should be able to set Visual Studio for Mac as the External Script Editor, and indeed it's in the dropdown list, but if I click it the screen just hangs for a couple of seconds and then just keeps it at Visual Studio Code. This is after I actually deleted the Visual Studio Code.app...

Completely reinstall Unity? Don't know... running out of options here.