Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

VS2015 - 5.5.0b9: buggy coroutine breakpoints

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by zombox, Nov 8, 2016.

1. zombox

zombox

I'm using 5.5.0b9 with VS2016 Update 3. I use many coroutines in my game. When I try to debug them, either the breakpoints are not hit or when they are hit, I cannot see or inspect any local variables inside of them. Is this a known issue or is there something obvious I'm missing? I can confirm that the coroutines are definitely running, and that breakpoints outside of corouties perform fine.

2. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hi. I have the same issue on Unity 5.4. The only solution I found is to use Mono for debugging and VisualStudio for development. It is impossible to debug coroutines in VS, sometimes F10 does not step to the next instruction, a lot of variables are duplicated in Watch window. I really recommend you to use Mono.

3. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Please try the latest 5.5 beta (5.5b10 at this time). We've corrected a few debugger related issues that sound very much like this in the latest beta.

If the problem still happens, please submit a bug report via the Unity editor, as we will investigate.

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Josh,

I constantly run into these two VSTU issues:
    • (Case 849694) VSTU: Node not supported: '1.0f - 1'
    • (Case 826896) VSTU: Node not supported: '(int)EFruit.Banana'

I would very much appreciate if these can be fixed eventually, as it's really common to mix float/int types in the Watch window or to cast an enumerated member value to an int.

PS: Both issues occur with Unity 5.5.0b10, but also earlier versions.

5. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Peter77

Thanks for the information, I see that case 826896 has been processed by our QA team and is waiting for investigation from us. Case 849694 has not been processed, but I've moved it to our QA team for a first look.

Do you know is these issues are specific to VSTU? Or do they happen with MonoDevelop as well? Thanks!

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for your quick response.

I just tested that and it appears this issue exists with VSTU only. MonoDevelop is able to evaluate both expressions in their Watch window.

PS: I also updated both bug-reports with that new/additional information.

7. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Peter77

Thanks for the details. I will update the bug reports with this information.

Peter77 likes this.
  8. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Hi folks.

I am Seb from the VSTU team.

I think we fixed all bugs discussed in this thread. On a side note we dramatically improved our evaluation engine for the next VSTU version.

It will fix Case 849694 (like 1.0f - 1)
    It will fix Case 826896 (like (int)EFruit.Banana)
    It should fix issues with 'this' access in co-routines

Regards
    Sebastien Lebreton [MSFT]

Peter77 likes this.
  9. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks @sailro! @Peter77, can you confirm that these are corrected? If so, I'll resolve these two bug reports on our side.

10. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Please note that those fixes are not yet released. They will be in the next VSTU version.

Regards

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Josh, Sebastien, thanks for sorting out these issues! These fixes are going to improve my daily debug sessions significantly.

Once the fixed/next VSTU version is available, I'm going to check whether it works for me and will update 849694 and 826896 accordingly.

12. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

We can give you access to a debug build if you want.

Just drop me a mail at vstusp[at]microsoft[dot]com

Regards

13. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Sebastien sent me that debug build and I can confirm that both issues that I reported earlier are fixed in this version. I updated both bug-reports (849694, 826896) with this information.

I can't express how much I appreciate the existence of VSTU, it's a great product! Thank you very much for the help!