Search Unity

VS Update: Background analysis of asset and meta files has been disabled. ??

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SoftwareGeezers, Jan 20, 2022.

1. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

After the last update a couple of days ago, every time I open my tiny mobile project in VS I get the message "Background analysis of asset and meta files has been disabled, because this project seems too large."

Total project folder including .vs files is only 1.3 GBs.

tried clearing out Library and .vs but the warning persists.

2. atcarter714

atcarter714

I've got the same question as you and tried the same thing. Our project is about 50GB so it's definitely very large. I'm not sure what the cause of this is because other employees aren't seeing this warning message and things are fine. I wonder if it would do any good to delete the whole repo of my local machine and just check it all back out from version control.

3. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

I've ended up just ignoring the warning. It clear has little to do with actual project size though as mine is very small. Mostly imports from a particle FX asset.

4. atcarter714

atcarter714

Indeed, it's very unusual and not everyone at the company sees this message. I hoped maybe the VS 2022 x64 process would handle it since it can use exponentially more memory, but it's still giving me the same warning as 2019. Still have no idea what the cause is, but I do see the effects. If I change some code that breaks some lines elsewhere in the project, VS won't even warn me until Unity tries to rebuild, and that's kind of annoying. I like being able to refactor fast in Visual Studio before making Unity rebuild ...

TheVirtualMunk likes this.
  5. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

I'm having the same issue since moving from VS 2019 to VS 2022.

6. PhaneV

PhaneV

Happens to me too.

Unity 2021.2.11f.
    Pretty large project (~30 gb folder).
    VS 2019

There's an option in VS for it: Tools -> Options -> Tools For Unity -> General called "Asset indexing", I'm pretty sure it's a feature related to identifying in what prefabs your components are being used.

I'd like that feature tbh, so +1 on this thread? :D

7. stu_dious

stu_dious

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  8. atcarter714

atcarter714

But is code analysis disabled as well? That's a real problem. Like I said, it makes refactoring in a big project a pain, having to let Unity try to rebuild and throw compiler errors so you can find them in the code base.

As great as Unity is and as convenient and easy as it makes so many things, it still leaves much to be desired for large projects and professional organizations working on them. You do find ways to get by, but things like this will haunt you. I also experience insane RAM usage in the editor, sometimes above 31GB+ ... and even with a mythical beast of a desktop PC, I still run into some bottlenecks and slowdowns in big projects and occasional instability.

That being said, the engine is gradually getting better and I'm quite pleased overall. I'd just like to see more done for big games and professional developers in terms of both features and performance. We need a bit of love, too, Unity. For small-scale projects Unity is virtually unbeatable, it's just when you scale things up a lot that things get a bit janky.

9. JJRivers

JJRivers

I'm going to bump this back into relevance (and don't any dare call it a necro, it's an ongoing issue that has zero attention on it).

What the asset indexing actually does and how it affects the user experience hasn't been explained well anywhere i've looked at (whether that's due to poor searching or lack of information i don't know). What are some actual features this enables?

Some questions:
    Is this an unsolvable problem that was already present in VS2019 and we just weren't informed?
    Or is this a new feature / problem in VS2022?
    Can this be resolved on the users end at all?
    If not, is the issue arising from VS or Unity and if so, is this on the radar of anyone who can actually do something about it?

10. laessnb

laessnb

I came here after updating to VS2019 16.11.17 and the problem cropped up within minutes. I, too, would like to know what's going on with this.

DangerIncreased and atcarter714 like this.
  11. atcarter714

atcarter714

I'm still seeing the issue crop up in VS 2022 ... if the blame is on Microsoft's side we at least need Unity to confirm that so I can raise the issue with Microsoft and try to get them to make a ticket to discover the cause, replicate it and solve it. I strongly suspect it is fixable but there's some kind of arbitrary limitation that was imposed on things without considering game developers with really large projects.

DangerIncreased likes this.
  12. Seanchaoz

Seanchaoz

So here's a curious addition:

My project folder currently is 7.2 GB. Not a massive game yet, but a good amount of scripts and assets. I'm not getting the VS warning.

But when I copy my project to a new folder and open it (an exact duplicate), VS coughs up the warning even though the project is the exact same and literally 100% identical, just in a different folder location.

Loading up the original again and the VS warning goes away.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  13. RARgames

RARgames

Same issue: Background analysis of asset and meta files has been disabled, because this project seems too large.

The affected project is only ~500 MB.
    However, I've noticed that the issue might occur even if only one file has larger size. In my case one scene was ~150 MB by mistake, and it caused the issue. After removing/fixing the scene, the issue is gone.

Visual Studio 2019 16.11.18 / 2022 17.3.3
    Unity 2020.3.36f1

14. dragonalumni

dragonalumni

Same problem.

15. atcarter714

atcarter714

I'm seeing what happens in the absolute latest version of Visual Studio 2022 Preview ... Microsoft just made a lot of major changes and improvements and it's a possibility this latest patch for '22 dealt with the issue in some way. I haven't seen the problem crop up yet, but I'm currently running a small prototype project that I just started up and it's still pretty small.

16. Mariusz-Born7

Mariusz-Born7

Same problem VS 2022 version 17.4.0

DangerIncreased and atcarter714 like this.
  17. DangerIncreased

DangerIncreased

helpa helpa pleza pleza DX

Attached Files:

18. djordr

djordr

Also having this problem after updating visual studio, the scripts take minutes to save, minutes to load. Because visual studio refuses to deal with the meta files of the scripts? Maybe it's an issue with the unity project, wish I hadn't "updated" visual studio. What could be the solution?

19. atcarter714

atcarter714

If this problem is still plaguing people, come bring up the issue on my dev Discord and we can try to resolve it. Went away for me and haven't had the issue in a while.
    https://discord.gg/4YPpmWyq

20. atcarter714

atcarter714

And it's still happening after last VS 2022 update? Anyone on Preview edition?

21. octia7

octia7

It's a warning now, but I'd really like to this analysis *despite* the size of the project. Is there an option to do that?

22. kevinkimble201

kevinkimble201

Still no update on this. I just recently ran into this after reimporting a 75gb project file. Not before the reimport, but after. I installed VSCode and it seems to work just fine. Though ive noticed not all the unity snippets that are in VS are in VS code.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    atcarter714 likes this.
  23. atcarter714

atcarter714

We're planning on working with Unity on something for one of their programs, and I will try to file this as a support ticket before it crops up on us again.

The game I was working on when this first happened is now released in Early Access:

You can probably see why size/scale was such an issue now :D
    <3

24. atcarter714

atcarter714

Note: Not my game, I was just a humble contractor trying to not break everything hahaha :D

The game is Silica from Bohemia Interactive!

I will ask if they're still suffering from this issue ...

25. Zaddo

Zaddo

I would like to know what actually stops doing when it shows the warning message "Background analysis of asset and meta files has been disabled".
    If VS is just ignoring non-code files, then this shouldn't be a problem. But if the VS analysis starts ignoring code, then this would be very bad.

rubendariohh likes this.